Jammed iBook audio jack

I have an iBook whose audio jack has been accidentally jammed inwards. The jack still works, but the internal sound won't play -- because now it always thinks headphones are on. Is there a software workaround, or a remedy using tweezers?

P.S. Apple says it's a $700 repair, and that popular sound-direction program "Detour" won't do it.
posted by inksyndicate to Technology (4 answers total)

Software won't help. You might try tweezers and epoxy to try to set the jack back in place.
posted by AlexReynolds at 9:10 AM on January 19, 2005

I have an iMac with the same problem. I'm to the point where I'm just going to buy a Griffin iMic and be done with it.
posted by blueshammer at 10:57 AM on January 19, 2005

I had a similar problem with my PowerBook a while ago. I think I wedged the top end of the inside of a biro in there and wiggled it around a lot. I remember I had to apply more force then was sensible for expensive equipment, but it did get it working again.
posted by cillit bang at 11:10 AM on January 19, 2005

I have that problem with my powerbook as well. I wiggled an audio jack around in there a lot until it made sound out of the computer speakers and now I'm afraid to stick anything in there again, which is kind of a shame because laptops really beg for headphones.
posted by aspo at 11:18 PM on January 19, 2005

« Older Apartment Decorating   |   What type of gun do you keep for home defense... Newer »