Restore IE and Flash after IE upgrade failure?

Cannot load Flash - cannot load IE8 - lost during attempts to upgrade IE from 7 to 8. Suggestions requested for loading IE8 and Flash.

Running XP - Flash was working in Firefox but not in IE8; removed IE8 and re-installed IE8. Now IE8 not working, too. Cannot load Flash into Firefox possibly due to remnant of IE8 program. So now have only Firefox browser but without video play capability because no Flash. Flash loading appears to be successful but then hits a stop due to "getPlus+[R] has encountered a problem and needs to close".

IE8 was working until today - after IE8 removal, IE8 install appears to be successful but icon never appears. No IE8 executable (IE8.exe ??) found.
posted by ChesLooney to Computers & Internet (4 answers total)

Go to Mozilla.org. Download Firefox. Problem solved!
posted by Jinx of the 2nd Law at 9:06 PM on December 27, 2009

Jinx, the OP already has Firefox...only it works without video playback.
posted by Telpethoron at 9:48 PM on December 27, 2009

What about a tertiary browser until you sort things out... Chrome, perhaps? Or Opera?

I would also do a virus/malware scan. Restore from backups if you have them. Etc. etc.
posted by squorch at 10:15 PM on December 27, 2009

I presume from your post that you don't have a full backup you can restore to.

I think you should find your XP install disk and do a repair with it. (Not a full install; "repair" is one of the choices.) That should get you IE7 back.

Then you can do a full backup, after which you try to do the IE8 upgrade again.

By the way, this where IE8 is usually found on an XP system:
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
posted by Chocolate Pickle at 10:26 PM on December 27, 2009

« Older My floor is covered with years of dirt and I don't...   |   Looking for cool t-shirt designs. Newer »