Video edit to include only action parts
December 24, 2009 5:41 AM   Subscribe

What is the easiest way to edit a video file to only include the footage when there is movement in a defined area?
posted by ben5757 to Computers & Internet (4 answers total)

Final Cut Pro and an intern? Can you be more specific? Kind of hard to understand what you are wanting to do...
posted by PhillC at 8:15 AM on December 24, 2009

Yeah, I can't think of any software that would automatically detect motion and pull it out. Doesn't mean such things don't exist, but it's a bit of an unusual specfic request.

Best thing I can think of is get a program like Final Cut (or anything where you can watch the video in fast motion) and keep your an eye on the desired area.
posted by yellowbinder at 8:20 AM on December 24, 2009

Vitamin D for the Mac can limit recording to only when motion is detected in a defined area.
posted by TruncatedTiller at 8:59 AM on December 24, 2009

I have some background in the field of machine vision, and this task is routinely accomplished using a simple MATLAB script with the appropriate image/video processing toolboxes (1,2,3). Here's an example of motion detection, while limiting the retained frames to those which contain movement in a specific area is also possible.
posted by Cody's Keeper at 10:27 AM on December 24, 2009 [1 favorite]

« Older Charting a musical family tree.   |   Bruch dish with leftover roast beef? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.