Recommend a Video-Editing Work Flow

I am looking for recommendations about to video-editing work flow for an oral history project I am involved. Pointers to other sites to ask this question are also welcome. What is the best way to capture hours of video recordings, add some basic beginning and end titles, and perhaps so music. Capturing the tapes to a computer, adding titles/music and then writing to DVD seems over-kill.

Currently I capture the tapes to our DVD recorder hard disk and then using the very, very basic DVD title generator that comes with the recorder, output to DVD. The capture part takes, of course, as long as the tape, and the writing to a DVD takes about 10 minutes. It is a very simple process.

However I would like to add some titles and end credits to each tape. Do I have to capture the whole tape to my computer, using some video-editing software to generate and add the titles, and then recode the only thing to DVD? I tried this and the decoding took hours (XP, dual processor, well spec'd desktop). The captured video was of course GBs huge and really seemed to stress the video editor software. It felt really clunky. Is there are easier way? I looked at trying to create titles only and 'feed' those back to the camera but couldn't see how to do this. It just seems a lot of work to capture/decode/re-encode when 95% of the video won't actually change or require editing.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
posted by vac2003 to Computers & Internet (5 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

Video editing can almost be like falling down a rabbit hole just to do something simple.

The jist is, if you want to put music under anything, or titles at the beginning, you're going to have to digitize it. It's too bad you're running windows because a Mac with FCP or IMovie could do this quite simply.

What application are you using? Also the size [in GBs] of your video is going to be determined based on your capture resolution. Every application controls this differently.
posted by mattsweaters at 3:54 AM on December 20, 2009

Does your computer do TV out? Maybe you can create the titles on your computer, export them to the DVD player, and then write both the titles and the imported video to DVD. I don't know exactly how that would work with your particular equipment, but that seems like the only alternative to importing everything and doing it digitally.

You could also look at outsourcing the digitising of your tapes - I know there are companies that specialise in that kind of thing.
posted by embrangled at 4:27 AM on December 20, 2009

I would really recommend capturing your footage to the computer both Windows movie maker or iMovie will give you so many more options.
posted by jmsta at 5:57 AM on December 20, 2009

Since you're encoding to MPEG-2 (as a DVD) you're asking for headaches. It's really meant as a distribution method - not a storage for further editing method.

If you want to add anything, most editorial software requires you to get it out of that format.

But, Premiere Pro CS4 allows you to source from a DVD. So, all you'd do is grab your DVD, put it in your computer, copy the Video_TS folder to your system and Premiere Pro would let you add info to your video.
-----------------
Do I have to capture the whole tape to my computer, using some video-editing software to generate and add the titles, and then recode the only thing to DVD?

Yup, that's how it's traditionally done.

The captured video was of course GBs huge and really seemed to stress the video editor software.
Yup, you're moving essentially 30 one megapixel pictures per second. Uncompressed Standard Def is about 1 GB/Min.

It just seems a lot of work to capture/decode/re-encode when 95% of the video won't actually change or require editing.
The way this was done in tape was to dub it down a generation and add in in 'real time'
posted by filmgeek at 6:53 AM on December 20, 2009

Thank you for your answers. All of them were very helpful and helped clarify my thinking and approach.

I kinda figured I would have to go the digitize-the-whole-lot-to-the-computer scenario, but wondered if I missed another alternative.
posted by vac2003 at 12:35 PM on December 20, 2009

« Older Is booking a hotel online really that much cheaper...   |   Mad Men Themed Gifts for a man Newer »