How do I turn on notifications when someone "Likes" something I wrote in Facebook?

How do I receive notifications when someone "Likes" something I posted on Facebook?

Right now, I receive notification when someone replies to something I wrote or writes on my Wall on Facebook. I would like to also receive notification via e-mail when someone clicks "Like" on something I wrote.

I have scoured the Web, and it appears that this is supposed to be a default feature. I'm wondering if I've turned off something by accident. I checked my notifications screen in the Settings, and I have notification turned on for everything (literally). But I'm still not receiving notification.

Am I doing something wrong? Help would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks.
posted by zooropa to Computers & Internet (10 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

I don't think it exists. You must get a lot of email from FB, though.
posted by fixedgear at 6:08 AM on December 15, 2009

Response by poster: > Fixedgear: Yep, I do. It's what I do for a living. *grin*

Facebook's own help does indicate you're supposed to receive notifications as a default:

What is the Like feature?
Clicking the Like link next to something that you enjoy on Facebook is an easy way to let someone know that you like it, without leaving a comment. Just like a comment though, the fact that you liked it is noted beneath the item.

For example, if you click a Like link beneath a friend's video:
* it'll be noted beneath the video that you liked it
* a story will be posted to your Wall that you liked your friend's video
* your friend will get a notification that you liked his or her video

Source:
http://www.facebook.com/help.php?page=773
posted by zooropa at 6:15 AM on December 15, 2009

I think 'your friend will get a notification...' is referring to the little pop-up red balloon in the lower right hand corner of the screen, no?
posted by fixedgear at 6:17 AM on December 15, 2009

Getting it by email is not on by default, I believe. By "notification" they mean the little red popup in the bottom right of the screen.
posted by restless_nomad at 6:18 AM on December 15, 2009

Settings-->Account Settings-->Notifications.

Look at all of your settings under Notifications.
posted by dfriedman at 6:29 AM on December 15, 2009

If you go to Settings >> Notifications, there doesn't seem to be any option to email you when someone likes your post. I don't think it's built into Facebook's process.
posted by moviehawk at 6:30 AM on December 15, 2009

Note: When I look @ the Notifications settings I don't see any way to have Facebook email you to let you know that someone likes what you've posted, only that someone has commented upon something that you have posted.
posted by dfriedman at 6:31 AM on December 15, 2009

For a while, Facebook was sending out "also commented on X" emails if someone commented on something that you "liked". I'm not sure if they are still doing that, but it makes it seem like "likes" are internally treated like comments.
posted by smackfu at 6:33 AM on December 15, 2009

Response by poster: *sigh* Yeah, that's what I was afraid of.

It seems kind of strange that you can get Notifications for practically everything else in Facebook, but very specifically not Likes. As with everything Facebook, the reasons why are a total mystery. :)

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I appreciate it.
posted by zooropa at 7:01 AM on December 15, 2009

Best answer: There's a time delay for this method, but you can subscribe to the RSS feed of your notifications to see whenever anything shows up in the little red notifications popup.
posted by stopgap at 7:16 AM on December 15, 2009

« Older Is it just me?   |   Boots, boots, who's gonna find my boots? Newer »