"Then wear the gold hat, if that will move her..."

I've been invited to a Great Gatsby-themed party. Help me dress up!

Details: Male, skinny, with dark, curly, longish hair. I'm usually not very good when it comes to this sort of thing, but I would like to at least make an effort. All suggestions are welcome, but the simpler the better (outfits based on puns or somesuch is also something I've considered, but I haven't been able to think of any good ones). I'm in Edinburgh, so suggestions for where to get these kind of clothes on the cheap would be nice. Feel free to post pictures of good examples as well.
posted by Bukvoed to Clothing, Beauty, & Fashion (11 answers total)

However you dress, be sure to bring a green light of some sort.
posted by scody at 3:51 PM on December 10, 2009 [2 favorites]

Best answer: You could go as the green light itself. A tiny green LED square in the middle of your chest. Best if it can wink on and off. Dress all in black for the rest. You're the green light on Daisy's pier, as seen from Gatsby's blue lawn, the dream so close he could hardly fail to grasp it.

(don't promise an orgiastic future to anyone, though).
posted by peachfuzz at 3:54 PM on December 10, 2009

Go as East Egg and West Egg. Put an egg on each shoulder akin to a little angel and devil. Draw on suits and faces and give them little canes and top hats made of paper. Question how the one on your left became so rich.
posted by espire at 4:02 PM on December 10, 2009 [1 favorite]

This is totally unhelpful but I once ended up at a Gatsby party by accident, so I wrote on a piece of paper that said "In my second act" and told everyone I was Canadian. It was hit and miss.
posted by Lacking Subtlety at 4:22 PM on December 10, 2009

I really like the idea of the green light, but another idea, if you have a thrift store with a lot of shirts around, and feel like bundling yourself up in a lot of them, would be Daisy's orgiastic pile of shirts:

He took out a pile of shirts and began throwing them, one by one, before us, shirts of sheer linen and thick silk and fine flannel, which lost their folds as they fell and covered the table in many-colored disarray. While we admired he brought more and the soft rich heap mounted higher—shirts with stripes and scrolls and plaids in coral and apple-green and lavender and faint orange, and monograms of Indian blue. Suddenly, with a strained sound, Daisy bent her head into the shirts and began to cry stormily.

“They’re such beautiful shirts,” she sobbed, her voice muffled in the thick folds. “It makes me sad because I’ve never seen such—such beautiful shirts before.”

I suppose it would work better if you had a female friend who could stand next to you and sob into your shoulder at opportune moments.
posted by besonders at 4:24 PM on December 10, 2009

You could do an Andy Kaufman and read the entire book aloud... um, maybe not.
posted by ovvl at 4:44 PM on December 10, 2009

Best answer: You might find inspiration in this flickr set.
posted by backwards guitar at 5:26 PM on December 10, 2009

The laziest, cheapest option: Gatsby when he was James Gatz, when he meets Dan Cody:

"It was James Gatz who had been loafing along the beach that afternoon in a torn green jersey and a pair of canvas pants..."

But I really like it when guests dress up as inanimate objects so I reckon Espire and Scody have winning ideas.

But with these attributes to work with: Male, skinny, with dark, curly, longish hair,
I reckon you should frock up in a 1920s golfing outfit, carry a golf stick and work Jordan's jaunty athleticism.
posted by honey-barbara at 7:34 PM on December 10, 2009

Uh, Jordan was a girl.
posted by brujita at 10:54 PM on December 10, 2009

I know brujita - she's presented as being physically rather androgynous. It was supposed to be a leeeetle bit funny.
posted by honey-barbara at 2:14 AM on December 11, 2009

If you don't mind playing a bit character, you could carry a handgun, wear a pair of coveralls and go as Myrtle's cuckolded mechanic husband Wilson.
posted by digsrus at 5:27 AM on December 11, 2009

« Older Who knows where to find bizarre headphones?   |   Something more descriptive than "Oww." Newer »