Help me become a teacher without a masters.

Can I teach in Colorado without a Masters?

The details are, I live in Denver, I have a bachelors degree in Computer Information Systems, I've been working as a freelance software developer for the last 2+ years, when I say freelance I mean that's how I make a good serious living. I'd like to get into teaching computer science at either a high school or junior college level. Nothing too advanced, but either Intro to Programming, RDMS or Data Structures. I've seen a lot of places require a masters but I'd rather not rack up another student loan burden plus sink all my time into grad school for the next 2 years. I have a great resume, very strong references from high profile clients, I've never had difficulty getting solid, well paying work. I feel I would be good teaching older kids/young adults, I've worked with high school students a few years back and really enjoyed it; Is there a way I can make all this translate into at least some part time teaching job?
posted by Scientifik to Education (5 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Private schools tend not to require MAs. This might be a good place to start.
posted by oinopaponton at 8:45 AM on December 10, 2009

Also, this.
posted by oinopaponton at 8:48 AM on December 10, 2009

The deal with teaching in public schools is that without a master's, you can only go so far up on the salary schedule (here's an example from a random school in Colorado). This only becomes a problem after 5-10 years of teaching. A master's degree is not expected for new teachers, and isn't required to teach, but you may get some guff from school administration if you don't get one after you've been teaching for a while.
posted by zsazsa at 9:13 AM on December 10, 2009

As far as at the junior college level goes, while theoretically you could maybe get hired at some with only a bachelor's, right now teacher supply at that level is way exceeding demand, and it would be difficult for you to get a job with ONLY a master's and not a Ph.D. (or at least a fair amount of teaching experience).

Private tutoring or private schools are probably the way to go, but even at these you're going to be on the wrong side of supply/demand right now (just like, you know, every other job in the country...).
posted by brainmouse at 9:35 AM on December 10, 2009

With the current budgetary situation, I'd be surprised if a Masters weren't a liability in the new teacher market... they have to pay more for those.

At the beginning of this year, there were a number of postings for math and science positions at DPS-affiliated charter schools - for which no Masters or even a teaching license were required (the Denver School of Science and Technology requires only a Bachelor degree, OR a license, OR a particular score on some test). A quick perusal of the current DPS proper listings suggests that many do not list a Masters as a requirement (e.g., this posting), though most/all do list a teaching license among the required qualifications. Good luck!
posted by dilettanti at 10:05 AM on December 10, 2009

« Older Best ideas for computer training at a non-profit?   |   What do Valor and Flash of Defiance have in common... Newer »