It made me so happy!

My very first "name that song"! Oh help.

It played on college radio in the 80's. I'm going crazy trying to remember it, but if anyone - ANYONE - would know, it would be you guys. Starts off with a woman's voice saying something like "fe, fe fi, fe fi fo fum... eeny meeny..." and goes on from there with nonsense words. Then guitars, and a man singing something about some kind of witchy woman who makes him "break out in a cold sweat".

Anything?
posted by Evangeline to Media & Arts (21 answers total) 10 users marked this as a favorite

It's not Batmobile, is it?
posted by scarykarrey at 5:28 PM on December 2, 2009

Response by poster: No that's not it, but what a neat song!
posted by Evangeline at 5:30 PM on December 2, 2009

Your first sentence made me think it was Cocteau Twins, but the second sentence killed that thought. Could it be Coldsweat by Sugarcubes? I don't know the song, but if anyone can throw a string of nonsense words (or Icelandic, what's the difference?) together, it's Bjork.
posted by otters walk among us at 5:40 PM on December 2, 2009

Response by poster: No, it's more kind of rockabilly.

Okay, this is embarrassing, but here.
posted by Evangeline at 5:41 PM on December 2, 2009 [7 favorites]

Response by poster: And yes, "nyer" is my sound for guitars.
posted by Evangeline at 5:46 PM on December 2, 2009

Response by poster: So it's kind of like the woman is scatting at the beginning.
posted by Evangeline at 5:52 PM on December 2, 2009

You win bonus points for your rendition (nyer is a perfectly acceptable guitar sound, unless you are trying to recreate death metal) but unfortunately, it doesn't help me. All that comes to mind are X, which doesn't seem likely, or perhaps Timbuk 3.
posted by otters walk among us at 5:54 PM on December 2, 2009

Response by poster: I want to say it had a kind of "Jason and the Scorchers" vibe.
posted by Evangeline at 5:56 PM on December 2, 2009

Hmm, dang, that first bit is a scouting/summer camp song (Flea Fly Flo) that's EVERYWHERE...so tough to Google, but maybe we can figure out who's done covers of it?

(off to check Allmusic, BRB!)
posted by Knicke at 6:03 PM on December 2, 2009

Response by poster: Oh, you're right! It is "flea fly flo"!
posted by Evangeline at 6:05 PM on December 2, 2009

Early John Mellencamp? Can't think of the song though. I remember something similar and you said rockabilly.
posted by Gerard Sorme at 6:12 PM on December 2, 2009

Response by poster: But followed by a song.
posted by Evangeline at 6:12 PM on December 2, 2009

Best answer: Oooh, I think maybe I found it?!

Is it Vista by Guadalcanal Diary?????
posted by Knicke at 6:19 PM on December 2, 2009 [2 favorites]

Response by poster: Yes! Yes! Oh my god, I love you!
posted by Evangeline at 6:20 PM on December 2, 2009

Sweet! That was fun (and I got to hear a great cover I've never heard before!).
posted by Knicke at 6:21 PM on December 2, 2009

Response by poster: How did you find it?
posted by Evangeline at 6:24 PM on December 2, 2009

Well, I tried "Flea Fly Flow" at Allmusic but didn't find any recordings that were in the right time frame.

But then I remembered that at YMCA Camp, we called that song/chant "Vista" and not "Flea Fly Flow"...so I looked up Vista instead and scrolled down for recordings in the right time frame. Had never heard of the band but the description of their music was right, so I Googled and voila!
posted by Knicke at 6:26 PM on December 2, 2009 [1 favorite]

Because it's clearly superior, I'm putting Evangeline's own version on my iPod right now.
posted by rokusan at 7:04 PM on December 2, 2009

Response by poster: Oh no...
posted by Evangeline at 7:12 PM on December 2, 2009 [1 favorite]

Those who'd like the next Mefi Music Challenge to be "make a remix of Evangeline's MP3" raise their hands...
posted by mmoncur at 11:15 PM on December 2, 2009 [1 favorite]

Response by poster: Thank god I didn't make a video.
posted by Evangeline at 4:16 AM on December 3, 2009

« Older I drove that font into the ocean.   |   Warmish places to go in Europe? Newer »