How to scale up DVD playback on Mac?

In Apple's DVD Player app for Mac (or in VLC), how can I scale the footage beyond the screen resolution? (Or specifically, scale the footage to the full width of the screen.)

I'm playing a DVD on a widescreen Mac, and even when I'm in "full screen" mode, it displays black bars on all four sides of the video. (Presumably because the DVD is not anamorphically encoded).

No problem, I thought, I'll just scale it up even further. (I don't care if the black bars on top & bottom are cropped off). But I can't find a way to scale it up any further. How can I utilize the full width of my screen?

(20" iMac early 2009, OS X 10.6.2)
posted by kidbritish to Computers & Internet (3 answers total)

This is basically just a weird workaround, but you could utilize the screen zoom feature (that's actually made for people with bad eyesight) it's ctrl + scroll (you have to have a mouse with a scroll wheel/ridiculous multi touch thing for this to work).
posted by The Esteemed Doctor Bunsen Honeydew at 11:09 AM on November 29, 2009

In the "Video" menu of VLC, choose "Crop", then "16:9". (This works for the Windows version of VLC. Hopefully the Mac version has the same options.)
posted by av123 at 11:29 AM on November 29, 2009

kidbritish: In Apple's DVD Player app for Mac (or in VLC), [...] I don't care if the black bars on top & bottom are cropped off). But I can't find a way to scale it up any further. How can I utilize the full width of my screen?

Open DVD Player. Hit Command-K, or alternatively, Window > Video Zoom. Click the checkbox next to "On", and pull down the appropriate preset from the pull-down menu (or adjust manually to taste).
posted by MikeHarris at 2:08 PM on November 29, 2009

« Older Apartment blight   |   An unwanted gallon of 2% milk Newer »