Where can I buy a reliable laptop computer without paying the Microsoft Tax?

OS-less laptops: I'm in the market for a new laptop computer, and I've got a couple of unused XP licenses currently going to waste. Where can I buy a reliable laptop computer without paying the Microsoft Tax?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions. My google-fu only turned up tiny vendors offering laptops of indeterminate quality.
posted by gd779 to Computers & Internet (9 answers total)

Oh, and I also found some vendors offering laptops with Linux installed, but in some cases I was concerned that they had simply paid for Windows and then removed it.
posted by gd779 at 11:10 PM on January 11, 2005

Here's something. The search was; laptop "no os"
posted by krisjohn at 11:23 PM on January 11, 2005

It's impossible to get a brand-name laptop without an operating system.

The only place I've seen laptops without operating systems are sites like Discount Laptops and Power Notebooks. Both sell laptops from the same Taiwanese OEMs that make laptops for the big names. Both have good service, as signified from their sky-high resellerratings scores. Prices are decent. (self-cribbed from this AskMe discussion)
posted by zsazsa at 12:06 AM on January 12, 2005

Pricewatch might be worth checking out (the "Notebooks - No OS" section). I have the same problem, and I still haven't found anything on which I'm willing to drop more than $500.
posted by Token Meme at 12:53 AM on January 12, 2005

I bought an os-less refurb computer fromCompgeeks.com once and was very happy with the results. Fast shipping, exactly what was promised, all that.

It's a little vendor, but I can vouch for the quality, and I bought from them because a more than one of my friends had told me of their good experiences. It does look like they're selling more with an OS preloaded, but they do still have a couple without.
posted by Kellydamnit at 5:51 AM on January 12, 2005

Wal-mart
posted by boaz at 8:16 AM on January 12, 2005

I should point out that I haven't tried that Linspire laptop, and it quite probably sucks.

OTOH, you may want to just try eBaying off the Windows XP licenses; you could probably make more that way than you can save by buying an OS-less laptop.
posted by boaz at 8:22 AM on January 12, 2005

The Apple Store.
posted by stonerose at 8:55 AM on January 12, 2005

When I get around to buying my own laptop, I will probably look at these guys. It looks like you can buy them without an os installed.
posted by smcniven at 9:15 AM on January 12, 2005

« Older How can I pay the bills in LA in the meantime?   |   Opposite autism Newer »