eBay for discrete electronic components?

I have several boxes of expensive electronic components (like this DC-DC converter, various high-freq op amps, 14-bit ADCs, several rad-hard milspec discrete devices, etc.), and I'd like to sell them online. Is there an eBay-like Mouser or Digikey-type site?
posted by spiderskull to Technology (11 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite

Why not ebay?
posted by chris p at 2:42 PM on November 24, 2009

eBay is good if they're searching for specific parts. If they're looking for generic A/D converters, for instance, its categorization system isn't tailored to the problem.
posted by spiderskull at 2:55 PM on November 24, 2009

I don't know of one, and I'm someone who would buy gear like that. If I don't know of it, I find it hard to imagine there's one around that's exposed to a decent market.

Best bet, if you don't want to go on eBay and just hope someone searches for the particular P/N and gets a hit based on the title, might be selling it in person at a local hamfest. The cost of the table (generally $10-20) will probably eat into your profit margin less than eBay's fees and shipping will, and you'll get cash in hand.
posted by Kadin2048 at 3:26 PM on November 24, 2009

Try the diyaudio.com marketplace forum.
posted by krilli at 5:01 PM on November 24, 2009

Try the Internet Garage Sale - it's a closed/invitation only sort of deal, but I got an invite by just writing the guy a convincing email... it's mostly consumer electronics, but I've occasionally seen further afield sorts of things like you are talking about.
posted by dorcas at 5:55 PM on November 24, 2009

I've liquidated components in bulk with All Electronics.

If you've got boxes of DC/DC converters, etc. it's hard to sell them onesy-twosie on eBay. These surplus places have to get their stuff somewhere. If you've got it, you can move it, but be prepared to get a low price per part.
posted by FauxScot at 9:28 PM on November 24, 2009

Unfortunately, these are all low-volume supplies. They're basically leftovers from various lab projects that people were tossing out and that I've been hoarding. I might have to try an in-person spot.

krilli -- that's a good idea. I'll try that for anything audio related.

Right now, I'm in possession of something like 50 CPLDs (Cyrus and Xilinx). If I can get rid of those for a decent price, I'd be a happy man...
posted by spiderskull at 10:08 PM on November 24, 2009

I've brought some second-hand electronic components on ebay - things like RF signal splitters - so some of them do get sold. However, I'm think it's going to depend on the component whether anyone is turning to ebay to get one. I only ended up at ebay because my usual sources didn't have what I wanted, and ebay came up in 'google products' which came up in a google search.

If you do put them on ebay, make sure the listing lists all the specs people are likely to search for, and maybe put the key ones in the item title; and include the full part number and a link to the datasheet in the listing.
posted by Mike1024 at 12:51 AM on November 25, 2009

It's also worth at try tossing the not-strictly-audio-related stuff onto diyaudio. The crowd is very diverse there.
posted by krilli at 5:49 AM on November 25, 2009

Try getting in touch with your local hacker space - you might find eager takers for some of the stuff.
posted by moonmilk at 7:59 AM on November 25, 2009

Thanks for all the answers! I'll try the suggestions above.
posted by spiderskull at 12:38 PM on November 28, 2009

« Older Looking for some fun things to do in Kansas City...   |   Is it possible to do a global change-style in... Newer »