How to programmatically record user sessions?

I'm looking for a non-interactive screencasting tool for use in my application. I'm doing some usability testing where I cannot be physically present on-site, and I want to record the sessions while my program is in use. Any ideas?

My application is in Python and GTK targeting the Windows platform.
posted by lwf to Computers & Internet (4 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

ouch. camtasia can do it, but its not free.
can you make them install vnc and then record their sessions either remotely or locally with vnc2swf? (remotely i suppose since there might be no windows versions of vnc2swf)
posted by 3mendo at 8:00 AM on November 24, 2009

CamStudio works great for me and my students in a Windows XP lab. Creates either an avi or an swf. Free, open-source.
posted by SuperSquirrel at 8:56 AM on November 24, 2009

Oh, wait. You want to programmatically start the screencasting software? I don't know if CamStudio can do that, sorry. We only start it up manually.
posted by SuperSquirrel at 8:57 AM on November 24, 2009

This page lists a number of resources.

http://www.ok-cancel.com/archives/article/2006/07/guide-to-remote-usability-testing.html
posted by reddot at 3:09 PM on November 24, 2009

« Older How do I roast chestnuts so that they're easy to...   |   Dead iMac - How screwed am I? Newer »