designing Filemaker for web publishing.
November 18, 2009 6:22 PM   Subscribe

Please point me to a comprehensive resource of designing databases to be published with Filemaker Instant Web Publishing.

Please point me to a comprehensive resource of designing databases to be published with Filemaker Server/Instant Web Publishing.

My google skills are failing me and I can only find scattered bits and pieces mentioning differences in treatments of scripts, global fields, script triggers on layouts/fields, etc., and effective workarounds. Is there a comprehensive resource that will help me design a database that will be accessed remotely? Preferably online, but books are good too. Thanks!
posted by lalex to Computers & Internet (3 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

One of these books?
posted by wongcorgi at 7:58 PM on November 18, 2009

I don't use IWP enough to recommend a specific guide or book for its features, but I would whole-heartedly recommend anything written by Geoff Coffey, author of the FileMaker Missing Manual series, and proprietor of the excellent FileMaker resource site SixFriedRice.com. There are several other good FileMaker authors, but I've found him to be a very capable and knowledgeable instructor.

I'd also suggest posting this question to the FileMaker Cafe:

http://www.filemakertoday.com/com/

There are plenty of folks there who are familiar with IWP who will steer you in the right direction.
posted by mosk at 11:50 PM on November 18, 2009

Thanks for the site rec, mosk, that's a great resource!

Unbelievably, I had not yet come across the title Web Publishing with PHP and FileMaker 9 mentioned in wongcorgi's link. I haven't received it yet but it looks about 100x more comprehensive than anything else I've found.
posted by lalex at 4:36 PM on November 19, 2009

« Older Caffiene snooze   |   What's a good idea for a thesis paper combining... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.