Hangul help

Help me find someone with Hangul calligraphy skills.

When I travelled to Korea to adopt our daughter, the proprietor of the store where we buy our name stamps heard that I was adopting and made a lovely calligraphy of our daughter's Korean name. I would like to find someone to make something similar for my son. We live near Boston, if that helps.
posted by larsks to Media & Arts (3 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

In Korean, it's 서예, or [suh-yeh].

Boston has a Korean population, although not as large as NYC/LA (obviously since it's a smaller city), so I'd suggest asking around Korean churches in Somerville. For example, this afterschool program (run by a church) teaches calligraphy. Perhaps the instructor would be willing, or could refer you to someone who would be?
posted by suedehead at 9:04 PM on November 17, 2009

Are you sure it's Hangeul and not the Chinese characters from which the Korean name derives? I ask because Koreans almost always use the latter for their stamps.
posted by smorange at 10:32 PM on November 17, 2009

Are you sure it's Hangeul and not the Chinese characters from which the Korean name derives?

It seems as if Koreans may be increasingly using Hangul as a way of asserting a national identity. In any case, we explicitly wanted Hangul characters, and that's what we got :).
posted by larsks at 4:17 AM on November 18, 2009

« Older Prescription to Move.   |   Hide rows in excel if two cells match. Newer »