No peanut, no milk filling breakfasts?

I'm hungry! What can I eat for breakfast that is a) filling b) dairy-free and c) peanut-free?

Breakfast is definitely my most important meal of the day. I need way more than a pastry/bowl of cereal, or I crash hard by 10. Protein, carbs, and a little fat are a must, a minimum of extraneous grease would be good, and I'm not too worried about fruits and veggies, since I eat lots of those later in the day. I'm not willing to devote more than 15 minutes of serious prep/cleanup time in the morning (more is okay if I don't have to stand there watching it cook), so eggs are probably out.

Complicating factors: I'm allergic to peanuts and I'm a little lactose intolerant (by which I mean that I'm usually okay with cheese and yogurt, but not first thing in the morning on an empty stomach). I've been having a bagel spread with some avocado lately, which is tasty, but the lack of variety's driving me crazy.
posted by oinopaponton to Food & Drink (47 answers total) 18 users marked this as a favorite

Oatmeal with soy milk? You can add raisins, maple syrup, non-peanut nuts, etc. Mmm, oatmeal. (Mmm, bagel with avocado, too.)
posted by chesty_a_arthur at 6:55 AM on November 17, 2009 [2 favorites]

You can make oatmeal in a slow cooker overnight so it's ready for when you wake up, and just make it with water rather than milk. Mix in some brown sugar for an energy boost and some chopped nuts or granola for healthy fat, and you're good to go.
posted by scarykarrey at 7:00 AM on November 17, 2009 [1 favorite]

How about some scrambled egg whites on that bagel, or a breakfast burrito with just the egg whites ans tasty salsa. If you go low carb on the bagel or tortilla then you get mostly protein and just enough carbs to satisfy. A little fruit, like say a banana, is always good, and don't forget coffee. There is no breakfast without coffee.
posted by caddis at 7:02 AM on November 17, 2009

Hummus and avocado in a pita or tortilla. Scrambled eggs with some grated parmesan (aged cheese has virtually no lactose) in a pita or tortilla. Soup. (I have a co-worker who eats soup for breakfast and it smells fantastic in the morning.) Toast with a non-peanut nut butter.

There's no law that says you have to eat breakfast-type foods at breakfast time, of course.
posted by rtha at 7:03 AM on November 17, 2009

so eggs are probably out

No, they are so in. Here's what you do:

0:00 Put a pan on medium heat.
0:30 Put one-two slices of bread into the toaster.
1:00 Toss in some oil or butter, let it heat for a moment.
1:30 Put in some bacon or sausage patties (veggie if desired).
2:30 Crack two-three eggs into the pan.
4:00 Flip the bacon/sausage.
4:30 Flip the eggs.
5:00 Take out the toast and put it on a plate.
5:30 Slide the eggs onto the toast.
6:00 Put the bacon/sausage on the plate.
6:15-10:00 Eat!
10:00-15:00: Wash the pan, spatula, plate, fork, and knife.
posted by The Michael The at 7:03 AM on November 17, 2009 [4 favorites]

My go-to is Cream of Wheat with almond butter, banana and cinnamon. When I want something heartier, I do the same thing with oatmeal and then I add some unsweetened soy milk (higher fat so it's more filling but lower in sugar than plain soy milk). Both of these make creamy, delicious, filling, healthy breakfasts. I love cooking the bananas in with the hot cereal because they get warm and mushy and reminiscent of banana bread.

YMMV, but for me, the oatmeal is a real stick-to-your-ribs type of meal that I love after a long winter run, while the Cream of Wheat is a bit lighter but still hot, yummy and filling and more of an everyday breakfast.
posted by Rudy Gerner at 7:04 AM on November 17, 2009 [3 favorites]

I forgot to say - since I don't want it to seem like I missed your "not enough time for eggs?" caveat - and others have pointed it out, but scrambling a couple of eggs should take something like five minutes, if that.

How about boiled eggs? You can boil them the night before, even.
posted by rtha at 7:05 AM on November 17, 2009

How about oatmeal with raisins and nuts (not peanuts obviously!), maple syrup and soy milk? Or cook granola - hot cereal with a mix of grains, seeds and nuts is hearty and fast to make. Or a sandwich with some sort of meat - ham perhaps? Breakfast burrito w/refried beans, skip cheese... make a batch of waffles on weekend using mix with whole wheat and soy flours then through one in toaster or microwave - much more substantial than all white flour based ones, the whole grains will carry you a lot longer. Bagel w/lox or smoked fish
posted by leslies at 7:05 AM on November 17, 2009

I know you say eggs are probably out because of time, but really, cracking a few eggs (1 minute), scrambling them in a nonstick pan (1 minute) and cleaning the pan and spatula and plate (2 minutes) takes up less than five minutes of your 15.
posted by caddis at 7:06 AM on November 17, 2009

Vanilla Almond Breeze (wonderful, wonderful stuff!) with cereal or oatmeal, english muffin with canadian bacon and egg (Egg McMuffin sans cheese), breakfast burritos with any combo of egg, potato, bacon, ham, onions, etc., savory pancakes with shredded veg ...
posted by Allee Katze at 7:07 AM on November 17, 2009 [2 favorites]

Oh, and all can be prepared the night before, I pack a breakfast, lunch and afternoon snack every night.
posted by Allee Katze at 7:09 AM on November 17, 2009

You can also cook scrambled eggs in the microwave. Spray the mug/measuring cup/bowl with cooking spray, crack your eggs in and whip them a little with a fork, add any extra ingredients you want, then cook in the microwave for 1-2 mnutes. Some people will stop, stir, and cook again to make sure they are evenly cooked.

I second the idea of breakfast burritos. You can cook up a whole bunch, wrap in tortillas, and freeze. Then you can microwave one and eat it.
posted by cabingirl at 7:13 AM on November 17, 2009 [1 favorite]

Emphatically seconding rtha on this -- I frequently have a sandwich for breakfast. Just keep on hand a stock of sliced turkey or ham or whatever pleases you; then in the morning slap some mayo and/or mustard on bread, add a few slices of your meat of choice, and there you go. Very fast, almost no clean-up, good protein-carb combo, and can be eaten tidily in the car if needed.
posted by Kat Allison at 7:13 AM on November 17, 2009

Beans on toast.

I'm also never sure why people treat breakfast as some sort of weird, special meal - I often just have whatever leftovers are just hanging about. Think about what you'd have for lunch, then have it for breakfast - for example, a big bowl of noodles where you've got it all set the night before and just have to bung it on the hob or in the microwave and you're sorted.

Mnnn, noodles... right, that's breakfast for me tomorrow sorted, no idea about you!
posted by Coobeastie at 7:14 AM on November 17, 2009 [1 favorite]

Steel-cut oats! They're way more filling & tasty than instant oatmeal, and they're super-easy to prepare. In fact, using mumkin's handy recipe, you can make a week's worth of oatmeal with about 15 minutes of effort. Here's what you do:

- Before bed, bring 3.5 cups of water to a boil
- Turn off the heat, add 1 cup steel-cut oats, and cover
- Next morning, they'll be done. Put 'em in the fridge to eat all week.

In the mornings, I put some of my cooked oats in a bowl with soy milk and a little molasses or brown sugar. I microwave for a minute or two, then sprinkle some pecans and blueberries on top. It's delicious and really really filling -- I don't get hungry until 1pm or so.
posted by ourobouros at 7:14 AM on November 17, 2009 [14 favorites]

My eggs issue is more of a cleanup thing than a cooking thing-- our cast iron pan is often not as non-stick as we'd like, and I can't leave it soaking when I go to work. I'll give eggs a try, though.

And caddis-- don't worry, coffee, since I bought this baby, is the jewel in the crown of my mornings.
posted by oinopaponton at 7:17 AM on November 17, 2009

I make myself a half-cup of Quaker oatmeal every morning, topped with 2 tbsps of ground flax seed and 1 cup of thawed blueberries.

The flax seed adds a healthy dose of fats (including lots of omegas).
posted by sickinthehead at 7:22 AM on November 17, 2009 [1 favorite]

Turkey and avocado sandwich.
posted by OmieWise at 7:39 AM on November 17, 2009 [1 favorite]

Oatmeal with a bit of honey or maple syrup (it must be real maple syrup, not just "syrup") and one of these combos mixed in:

- sliced bananas and walnut pieces

or

- blueberries and sliced almonds.
posted by Jaltcoh at 7:39 AM on November 17, 2009

(oatmeal made with water rather than milk, of course)
posted by Jaltcoh at 7:45 AM on November 17, 2009

our cast iron pan is often not as non-stick as we'd like, and I can't leave it soaking when I go to work.

You can actually buy a decent, smallish non-stick skillet at the grocery store/Target for cheap. If you only use it for eggs, it will last you a really long time.
posted by Kimberly at 7:47 AM on November 17, 2009

Instant grits and scrambled eggs.
Instant grits and a hunk of hard cheese
Instant grits and refried beans
Instant grits and frozen, pre-cooked microwavable frozen sausage

I love instant grits! They provide carbs but are way more filling than toast, and they can mix with anything. I can't eat oats, so they're my go-to for a quick and long lasting breakfast. They're very tasty, too. (And they come in bacon favor!) Just empty a few packets into a bowl and add hot water. Stir 'til smooth.
posted by caveat at 7:47 AM on November 17, 2009

Scrambled eggs / omelets will freeze pretty well. Prepare a whole bunch on your weekend and stick them in the freezer. Additionally, boiled eggs are easily prepared in advance and quick to prepare before eating. Eating boiled eggs with mustard, hot sauce, salt and pepper etc. adds tons of variety to breakfast. Two or three boiled eggs plus a big bowl of oatmeal will get you way past 10 (assuming your not eating breakfast at 6).
posted by Barry B. Palindromer at 8:13 AM on November 17, 2009

Hard boil a dozen eggs on Sunday, grab them as you walk out the door. Filling, nutritious, fast. Add a piece of fruit, and you're set.
posted by Sara Anne at 8:15 AM on November 17, 2009

I never use milk on cereal, and usually minimize drinking it. Here's what I do for quick, easy, and filling breakfasts:

"Old Fashioned" Oatmeal made with water in the microwave takes two minutes. Mix it together in a bowl with an optional dash of salt. After you take it out, stir in brown sugar or whatever other inclusions you want. If you use raisins or other dried fruit, you might stir that in before you put it in the microwave.

I just finished a bowl of (plain) shredded wheat softened with water. Put shredded wheat in a bowl. Heat a cup of water in the microwave two minutes. Pour over the shredded wheat, then strain off (I use the edge of a fork or spoon to hold the shredded wheat in the bowl). Add sugar or other flavorings as desired.

I also endorse scrambled eggs. If your pan is sticking, use some cooking spray or a little olive oil to keep that from happening.
posted by Robert Angelo at 8:18 AM on November 17, 2009

Leftover brown rice (make a big pot on Sunday, reheat portions), topped with black/pinto/refried beans, and sauted spinach/tomatoes/hashed brussels sprouts (what? I had them leftover!). I always top with two eggs over easy, but if you can't find an egg solution that leaves you happy, here you go.

What about poached eggs? No sticking issue.

Oatmeal with frozen berries, wheat germ, and almonds. (Or whatever nuts you can eat with a peanut allergy.)
posted by teragram at 8:19 AM on November 17, 2009

Oh, or quinoa, leftover.
posted by teragram at 8:20 AM on November 17, 2009

(Sorry, I love breakfast, I will try not to just keep adding posts as I think of them, all day!)

Leftover pasta e fagioli? Oh man. Greatest breakfast ever.
posted by teragram at 8:32 AM on November 17, 2009 [1 favorite]

I do love cream of wheat for breakfast as others here have mentioned, but I want to point out my favorite brand, Bob's Red Mill White Wheat Farina. Scrum-diddly-umptious!

I top mine with honey, raisins, a dollop of molasses if I'm in the mood, a dollop of yogurt, slivered almonds, dashes of cinnamon, sliced apple... or all of the above. That and a piping hot mug of black gold will keep you going for hours.
posted by missmobtown at 8:34 AM on November 17, 2009 [1 favorite]

I'm on a diet for a pre-diabetic condition. I've found almond butter to be a great replacement for PB (just have to really check the label to ensure it wasn't processed in a peanut facility). Also 2 eggs cooked in a pan lightly sprayed with PAM keep me full straight through until lunch.
posted by mattholomew at 8:37 AM on November 17, 2009

French toast. It is the only breakfast my kid will eat so every couple weeks I spend a half hour making about 15 slices on my griddle. You don't need milk. Add vanilla, cinnamon, and dash of salt. Then put in the freezer (i put pieces of wax paper in between). Every morning I pop one in the toaster. Each slice has a whole egg in it and you can make the bread as healthy as you want

You could also do an oatmeal bake. You can make it on Sunday and add what ever you want.
Then enjoy all week
posted by beccaj at 8:44 AM on November 17, 2009 [2 favorites]

Breakfast burrito: scrambled eggs, ham, salsa, guacamole. For variety you can throw in leftovers of whatever green vegetable you had for dinner the night before. Protein, fat and carbohydrates all in a convenient ready-to-eat package.
posted by charlesv at 8:53 AM on November 17, 2009

Hard boiled eggs. I cook them 4 at a time and leave them in the fridge for mornings. One of those and a handful of almonds (and coffee) and I'm good til 1pm. Bonus-- no clean up!
posted by travertina at 8:59 AM on November 17, 2009

Tea noodles (6 minutes to cook) + rice seasoning & a splash of soy sauce = world class fast filling breakfast.

I like mine with a fried egg, but there's no reason why a sliced boiled egg (made the night before) wouldn't work.

Yum!
posted by Space Kitty at 9:14 AM on November 17, 2009

Lotta good suggestions here... one I haven't seen is tabouli... its' super easy to make (just buy the mix at the super market).
posted by jockc at 9:16 AM on November 17, 2009

Breakfast smoothies punched up with protein powder and soy/rice or almond milk substituting the dairy. You can really get creative but if you need ideas, there are over 2,000 recipes HERE.
posted by watercarrier at 9:41 AM on November 17, 2009

What about almond butter or tahini instead of peanut butter? I ate this like every day for a year when I was dairy free. (I like almond butter way better than tahini, but some people love tahini) Put this on a bagel, or in a sandwich, you ca even eat two of them. Or an almond butter shake, with soymilk and bananas and coco? Yum. If you had eggs with this you'd probably be good to go. Hard boiled eggs can be made in a batch and eaten over the course of a few days, and they definitely hold off the hunger.
posted by Rocket26 at 9:42 AM on November 17, 2009

Arrowhead Mills Steel Cut Oats are microwavable (5-7 minutes) and are very nutritious. I like them with just a couple tablespoons of plain soymilk and brown sugar, but you can put whatever the heck you like in them. Way better for you than regular highly-processed oatmeal.

I also like whole grains like bulgur or barley cooked ahead of time in a slow cooker, and then served with soy sauce, a little sesame oil and some chopped scallions. Can be served hot or cold.
posted by anthropoid at 10:15 AM on November 17, 2009

I make a savory-sweet oatmeal in just a few minutes. 1/2 cup of dry quick oats, 1 cup of water. Nuke for 2 minutes. Crack an egg into it when it comes out and whip with a fork until the egg is incorporated, about 30 seconds. Add some dried cranberries, and soy cheese, or maybe some nutritional yeast if you like a nutty flavor. Brown N Serve breakfast sausages can be nuked in 45-60 seconds, sliced up and added to the mix (mmm, sausage & cranberries). Sometimes I leave the dried fruits out and just do cheese & hot sauce, great on a cold mornings.

I've also had ramen noodles for breakfast. Use 1/2 the flavor packet to reduce the sodium, and whip an egg into it after the noodles are done. Egg drop ramen.
posted by Marie Mon Dieu at 10:48 AM on November 17, 2009

Wow, I'm such a dummy- I've had brown rice sitting in my cabinet for months and eating it for breakfast never occurred to me. And I guess oatmeal and cream of wheat deserve a reconsideration. Thanks, guys, these are all great suggestions-- don't know if I can pick one best answer.
posted by oinopaponton at 11:22 AM on November 17, 2009

Does whey protein affect you the same way as cheese/yogurt? You might try adding that, or soy protein powder, to some smoothies. When I was actively trying to eat better/lose weight/get fitter, I did that in the morning because I knew I wouldn't be able to get through until lunch without some fat or protein.

Echoing the eggs in the microwave. Doing it in a coffee mug or small round Rubbermaid container is perfect for an egg sandwich with English muffins.
posted by Madamina at 11:24 AM on November 17, 2009

Just saw this: Olympian Super Oatmeal
posted by caddis at 11:28 AM on November 17, 2009

If you do the tea noodles (or any sort of soup/noodles thing) you can crack an egg directly into the boiling water for an egg drop soup effect. Quick protein, and tasty. I used to do it with ramen when I was broke.
posted by restless_nomad at 3:02 PM on November 17, 2009

Made a half batch of this breakfast apple granola crisp last week for breakfast - I ate it with yogurt, as suggested, and a half batch was about 6 servings. You could just eat a larger serving without yogurt, or soy yogurt, or maybe yogurt won't affect you as badly if you eat it with something.

There are about a million bagillion ways to prepare and serve oatmeal here.
posted by sararah at 3:18 PM on November 17, 2009 [1 favorite]

My two favourites are:

Bowl of oatmeal topped with cinnamon and applesauce. Soy milk on the side
Mini omelet made in a sandwich toaster

The latter is really fast and easy, I use one of those $5-10 sandwich press things. Plug it in to preheat and meanwhile mix an egg or 1/4 cup or so of whites in a bowl. Toss in whatever you like (I use 1/4 cup frozen has brown potato, a handful of frozen cooked, cubed chicken (or tofu or beans or whatever) and a handful of spinach). Stir. Pour into the wells. Let it sit maybe five minutes (I usually use this time to blend some soy milk with cocoa powder and a handful of frozen fruit in a magic bullet). It pops out of the wells easily when it's cooked and takes maybe 5 minutes.
posted by JoannaC at 10:20 PM on November 17, 2009

Whole grain toast or waffle spread with tahini and molasses--delicious and a good source of protein, iron and calcium.
posted by janerica at 12:23 AM on November 18, 2009

I would say a big bowl of steaming hot oatmeal with large dollops of nut butter (almond is good, as is sunflower seed or cashew) and a drizzle of maple syrup or honey. Also, I want to reiterate: non-milk milks, like almond milk or flavored soy milk, are delicious and healthy.
posted by Night_owl at 7:40 PM on November 18, 2009

« Older Help me find the most computer for my money   |   What to read to my ill grandmother Newer »