Here's all my passwords dude

Rudder or Mint? Is there a big difference between these two services? I'm an obsessive bank account checker and pay everything online.

I like the idea of having one-stop-bill paying and budget fun.

Is my spending info sold to third parties/credit card companies/etc?

Is allowing a website to access my financials an obvious no?

Your personal experiences welcomed.
posted by sarelicar to Work & Money (15 answers total) 7 users marked this as a favorite

Mint was just snapped up by Quicken, so be prepared for it to get crappy (i.e., turn into the next "Quicken Online"). For now, it's a really great tool and it offers so many features that I find at least one new one every time I log in. In fact, my experience has been so good that Mint is really the only dotcom whose purchase by another company was genuinely upsetting to me.

I've not heard much about Rudder and would need to check it out to make a fair comparison. The most obvious difference would seem to be that Rudder is founded around the idea of convergence with your email box, and Mint is more of a desktop app in a web browser's clothing.

Given that it's still free (and not crappy yet) I'd try Mint and see what you think.
posted by littlerobothead at 12:02 PM on November 16, 2009

I've used both; Mint is superior as far as I can tell. Rudder just sort of lets you know how much money you have, Mint lets you do serious budgeting, and track investments and loans.

Mint also supported more of my accounts than Rudder did. What I'd do is just sign up for accounts with both of them around the same time, so they both have the same data moving forward, and choose for yourself.

No individual data, but they do get aggregate stuff that lets them figure out if people in the pacific northwest like to buy _____, and that sort of thing.

Up to you. Lots of companies have your data anyways. At least something like this works for you. In the case of Mint, Yodlee is the one that actually has your data. This is the same company that'd have your data if you used the automagic pull-in-data support in MS Money or Quicken. They provide the access to all the banks.
posted by floam at 12:05 PM on November 16, 2009

Yeah, mint has already started fucking up basically every function I used it for since the switchover to quicken. I just deleted my account today (unrelated to this post). YMMV.
posted by shownomercy at 12:06 PM on November 16, 2009

shownomercy: I haven't seen any significant changes recently. What functions are you referring to?

As far as I can tell it's the same team of developers and the exact same java project it's always been, and thus far they haven't changed any features or anything.
posted by floam at 12:10 PM on November 16, 2009

You should check to make sure that all of your accounts are supported. Mint doesn't currently support ING Direct, nor does it support many small banks, nor many store credit cards. It may be substantially less useful if some of your money doesn't show up in your budgets.
posted by decathecting at 12:59 PM on November 16, 2009

I thought this sounded cool so I just went to give Mint a try. Currently it is broken for Chase accounts. Oops.
posted by skintension at 1:22 PM on November 16, 2009

I like the idea of having one-stop-bill paying

Last I checked, Mint doesn't allow you to pay bills or move money around. It really just reports how much money you have and where you spent it. I was also frustrated by the inability to plan ahead. If I know I have an expense coming up, I don't see that in Mint until it actually occurs.
posted by willnot at 1:27 PM on November 16, 2009

I really love Mint's look and feel, but it never accurately reports my Wells Fargo bank accounts. Works with my Chase CC though.
posted by ejoey at 2:47 PM on November 16, 2009

Mint doesn't currently support ING Direct

Actually, it supports it fine, it's just that ING keeps preventing them from accessing their accounts during large portions of the day. My ING account update sometimes. There is extensive discussion of this on their blogs, and there's not a lot that any third party can do if a bank or other financial institution is going to take efforts to prevent customers from accessing their information via a product like Mike.
posted by iknowizbirfmark at 2:56 PM on November 16, 2009

I have several Chase credit card accounts, and Mint supports them fine. The Chase website and online billpay has been down intermittently for maintenance over the last few days. Perhaps that's the issue?

And yes, you can't pay bills or move money around. It's just a good way to see where your money goes, and it has pretty decent budgeting features.
posted by gemmy at 5:59 PM on November 16, 2009

The lack of bill pay and money movement is a "security feature".
posted by kenliu at 6:28 PM on November 16, 2009

If you want to do comprehensive billpay and don't mind paying $12.95 per month, Paytrust is a pretty good option. Sure, you can do it from your bank for free, but Paytrust is much more feature rich and customizable. I also like the fact at they keep all my bills in PDFs and allow for extensive automation with relatively complex rules and that you can have paper bills sent to a PO box if you can't get ebills (which for most payees you can). That said, Quicken recently bought it and is already starting to ruin it - they're already removed one great feature and will probably do so with others that require significant programming upkeep as well.
posted by iknowizbirfmark at 8:20 AM on November 17, 2009

this has been fairly extensively covered.
http://ask.metafilter.com/tags/mint
posted by Chris4d at 11:24 AM on November 17, 2009

Mint is doubling up all my transactions, taking over a week to udpate, stopped working for paypal, etc. The forum is not as responsive and help tickets are remaining unresolved.

To be honest I'm really surprised anyone would come into this thread and call bullshit on me; it obviously has a great deal to do with what specific credit cards, banks, and investment accounts you have, if you have ever looked at the forums.
posted by shownomercy at 12:50 PM on November 17, 2009

I see they finally got Chase working, so I went to give it another try today. Now they are having problems with one of my student loan providers.

Cool service in theory, in practice it seems perpetually broken.
posted by skintension at 9:33 AM on November 18, 2009

« Older Lambanog?   |   A question for the ladies about bras. Newer »