Online bicycle swap meet?

Does anyone know of an online equivalent to a bicycle swap meet? I bought an old tandem bike for $100 and need to replace some rusted parts (handlebars, cranks, etc), but don't want or need new parts (nor do I think I'd find them easily). I've checked e-bay, but no luck this time. I guess my ideal would be an e-bay just for bicycles. Does such a thing exist?
posted by robverb to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (8 answers total)

Post something on craigslist, in the bikes section, describing exactly what you're looking for. Someone probably has these parts in the bin, but wouldn't go to the trouble of advertising them for sale.
posted by M.C. Lo-Carb! at 6:50 PM on November 15, 2009

You don't say where you are located, but in Providence, RI, the Steel Yard
Maybe your community has a similar type of event?
posted by chiefthe at 6:54 PM on November 15, 2009

What I meant to say, before I was interrupted by an errant click, is that the Steel Yard in Providence, RI periodically has "Recycle-a-Bike" events that include the sale of bikes and a wide collection of parts.

posted by chiefthe at 6:57 PM on November 15, 2009

The short answer is yes these things exist and the long answer is we can't be much help to you if we don't know where you live.
posted by kthxbi at 6:57 PM on November 15, 2009

Response by poster: kthxbi, when you say "these things exist" are you responding to my question about online equivalents to swap meets or are you talking about actual events? I'm fairly well keyed into my local area and I'm pretty sure there's nothing around here in the near future, which is why I'm looking for something online.

That said, I live on Long Island, so if anybody can suggest something I was previously unaware of, please let me know.

In the meantime, I may try M.C. Lo-Carb's suggestion - it certainly couldn't hurt.
posted by robverb at 7:49 PM on November 15, 2009

I'm saying actual events like this do exist. There was one in Madison, WI at the end of the summer and there have been many others. But yeah tbh craigslist is going to be your best bet.
posted by kthxbi at 7:56 PM on November 15, 2009

Lehigh Valley Velodrome has flea markets twice a year, April and October. Maybe Kissena does, too? In the meantime, what do you need? Ashtabula cranks? You can MeMail me and I'll check my parts bin.
posted by fixedgear at 8:01 PM on November 15, 2009

The Kreb Cycle in Bellport is an awesome shop...I'd bet they'd be able to help you out one way or another. They are specifically not a super chromy all new stuff shop.
posted by sully75 at 5:37 AM on November 16, 2009

« Older Looking for recommendations for recent popular...   |   Where should I live in Chicago? Newer »