How do I optimize bio-availability and absorption of nutritional supplements?

How do I optimize bio-availability and absorption of nutritional supplements? [(figure I'll cross-post this at ImmInst, but you guys are rather sharp so couldn't hurt to break in the new MetaFilter account :)] Question regarding bioavailability and absorption of supplements across a multi-factor spread

Factors:
* Fasted state
* Positive nutrient interaction (e.g., take with fats, take with other compounds, take alone)
* Negative nutrient interaction (i.e., Don't take with X)
* Before/after weight training

Longevity supplement regimen:
* 500mg trans-resveratrol
* 3g EPA/DHA fish oil
* 1g Krill oil
* 4000 IU Vitamin D3
* Multivitamin (Biolife)

Fitness supplement regimen:
* Stinging Nettle Root
* Zinc Magnesium Calcium Complex
* Creatine monohydrate
* BCAAs

Anything off the top? Would love if there were a good wiki recommendation on nutraceutical optimization and interactions, but so far haven't found anything.
posted by jerwilkins to Health & Fitness (10 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

http://vitamins.lovetoknow.com/Vitamin_D_Overdose

Krill Oil plus D3 plus a multi? Really?
posted by StrikeTheViol at 8:18 PM on November 15, 2009

I don't know about the rest, but I remember reading recently that the omega-3 fatty acids are best absorbed when incorporated into yogourt. Here's a link. I'm not sure if that's the same article I read, but it comes to the same conclusion, and should at least be able to serve as a starting point for more research along those lines.
posted by benign at 11:11 PM on November 15, 2009

Re: Vitamin D - StrikeTheViol has quoted from "lovetoknow.com" and even the Wikipedia page refutes this. Here is just one of the recent studies:

"A prevailing concern exists, however, regarding the potential for toxicity related to excessive vitamin D intakes. The UL established by the FNB for vitamin D (50 µg, or 2000 IU) is not based on current evidence and is viewed by many as being too restrictive.... Human clinical trial data published subsequent to the establishment of the FNB vitamin D UL published in 1997 support a significantly higher UL. We present a risk assessment based on relevant, well-designed human clinical trials of vitamin D. Collectively, the absence of toxicity in trials conducted in healthy adults that used vitamin D dose ≥250 µg/d (10 000 IU vitamin D3) supports the confident selection of this value as the UL..

My neurologist recommended up to 4000 UI as a daily dose. Vitamin D is becoming known as being REALLY important in so many factors in health. Just read the wiki page - and then look at other reputable sources.
posted by smartypantz at 11:44 PM on November 15, 2009

D3 is probably safe at anything less than the maximum amount produced by prolonged sunlight exposure (about 10,000 IU). Reinhold Vieth has written a few papers on this exact topic:
* Vitamin D supplementation, 25-hydroxyvitamin D concentrations, and safety.
* Efficacy and safety of vitamin D3 intake exceeding the lowest observed adverse effect level
* Vitamin D Toxicity, Policy, and Science
posted by zentrification at 12:03 AM on November 16, 2009

I cannot speak to the health aspects of what you ask but when researching prenatal vitamins one of the most important factors is the actual vitamin pill itself and if it will dissolve in the digestive tract. There is a test that can be done with a vinegar solution at home to see if the vitamin dissolves. Apparently quit a few vitamins pass right through mostly intact.
posted by cftarnas at 12:09 AM on November 16, 2009

http://vitamins.lovetoknow.com/Vitamin_D_Overdose ... I still can't see how you WOULDN'T run the risk of hypercalcemia with the D x 3 plus creatine.

Are you even reading the links you're posting? Here's the text from your link:

Studies have also shown that, taken over long periods of time, consumption of vitamin D in amounts above the UL will result in toxicity. For children under the age of 12 months, a sustained intake of 1,000 micrograms (40,000 IU) a day will produce toxicity in just one to four months. For adults, 2,500 micrograms (100,000 IU) a day may result in toxicity in a few months.

100k IU a day is on the order of an entire bottle of OTC Vitamin D supplements a day.

See Lancet 2002 359: 672 for what it took to induce a Vitamin D overdose in one case -- 1.7 million IU/day for 7 months.
posted by suncoursing at 9:52 AM on November 16, 2009

Guys, fascinating feedback. Thanks for the insightful comments!--just tabbed the yogurt paper to read presently. I've reviewed the available research on D3 and am not worried about toxicity.

I've done the requisite legwork to select these supplements and dosages; my concern is optimal bioavailability and nutrient interactions. In particular, I know resveratrol can be rather finicky--any further recommendations?

Cheers!
posted by jerwilkins at 8:39 PM on November 16, 2009

Incidentally, @StrikeTheViol, the AdSense placement for the LoveToKnow article is a delightful fail, don't you think :D
Oh these fabulous machines!

Only have access to the abstract for the omega-3 + test meals article, but the conclusion is actionable enough: yogurt was the best vehicle for quick absorption of omega-3s.
posted by jerwilkins at 8:45 PM on November 16, 2009

This thread cross-posted here:
http://www.imminst.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=35324
posted by jerwilkins at 7:08 PM on November 21, 2009

« Older Where in the world should I go?   |   My stubby amplifier... Newer »