Name that American folk painter
November 13, 2009 2:30 PM   Subscribe

This is driving me insane. What is the name of the 19th century American folk painter, called something like Franz Vogl, Kogl, Vogel, Fogel - something Austrian sounding - who drew very distinctive landscapes featuring buildings with mildly distorted perspectives and a lot of horizontal lines, usually titled below with calligraphic captions like "Miss Joanna Cunningham's House."

I thought I bookmarked this guy when I found him but apparently not. His paintings have sold in excess of $300k so he is not unheralded, and there was a .com in his name set up by a collector looking for works. Have exhausted everything trying to find him on google.
posted by fire&wings to Media & Arts (4 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
Best answer: Fritz G. Vogt?
posted by scody at 2:36 PM on November 13, 2009 [2 favorites]

Response by poster: I knew this wouldn't take long, but THANK YOU.

posted by fire&wings at 2:40 PM on November 13, 2009

posted by scody at 2:46 PM on November 13, 2009

Goddamn. I never thought I'd live to see non-euclidean geometry in action. Ia, ia, cthulhu etc.

(Seriously, fine arts drawing minor with my BA, and those hit the uncanny valley for me)
posted by Decimask at 3:07 PM on November 13, 2009 [1 favorite]

« Older Books about the British Empire in Afghanistan?   |   Gradual Snowy Picture on TV- Help! Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.