Wine Advocate?

Are there any wine review sites similar to Beer Advocate or Rate Beer?

I'm looking for a site with a database that hits nearly everything in the world with a good amount of user reviews for reasonably popular wines.

BA and Rate Beer really helped me when learning about beer and how to appreciate it. They gave me a frame of reference for what I was tasting and what others tasted in the beer.

When I try to find reviews for wines I maybe find one or two and otherwise just links to online liquor stores or generic epinions type crap.
posted by furiousxgeorge to Food & Drink (4 answers total) 14 users marked this as a favorite

I'll be watching these answers, too.
Here's a few lame sites but I think you may need to join a wine club to get the best reviews.

Robert Parker.
Snooth.
Cork'd.
This guy, Gary Vaynerchuk, he's kinda entertaining.
posted by artdrectr at 5:03 PM on November 12, 2009

I use CellarTracker as my wine analogue for Beer Advocate, although I often get the feeling that I am not really worthy to read the user reviews.
posted by dfan at 5:33 PM on November 12, 2009

2-ing dfan re. CellarTracker. CellarTracker will often pull in published reviews from various sites, too. For information and reviews on particular types of wines (but not a huge database full), the Wall Street Journal Weekend wine columns are pretty good and interesting to read. Look for the "Tastings" column here. (Linking to base food/wine page, as there's a lot of other "adult beverage" coverage at the Journal).
posted by webhund at 5:58 PM on November 12, 2009

corktraders.com offers reviews, I believe
posted by reverend cuttle at 6:02 PM on November 12, 2009

« Older Help me find a laptop to match my TV.   |   100 meters in 10 feet or less? Newer »