Where can I find jacket like Number 6's in NYC?

Where in the New York City area can I find a jacket like the one Number 6 (Patrick McGoohan) wore in the original The Prisoner series?

In particular, I mean the black jacket with white piping. Since this is probably a one-time thing, I'm not looking to spend a lot of money on it, and am not opposed to second-hand.

Bonus points for also being able to recommend somewhere to find/have made a 'number 6' button with The Village's penny-farthing bicycle.
posted by Godbert to Clothing, Beauty, & Fashion (7 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite

Response by poster: Oh, and I've just been informed that the white piping can be added after the fact, so just a black jacket, in that style, would also be acceptable.
posted by Godbert at 5:54 PM on November 8, 2009

Button.

Not sure about the jacket. I *do* remember seeing a jacket exactly like that in American Eagle, of all places, last fall. I put it on and ran around the shop shouting I AM NOT A NUMBER, I AM A FREE MAN.

Nobody laughed except my mom.
posted by elsietheeel at 6:22 PM on November 8, 2009 [1 favorite]

Looking at images on Google, it looks like a black sport coat with narrow, notched lapels. You can find infinite variations by searching those terms, unless there's something about it that I can't see in a still image that makes it special.

If you happened to have the money, you could buy an official replica.
posted by cabingirl at 6:31 PM on November 8, 2009

They're "cricket jackets" I believe. I know Ralph Lauren had one a while ago but it doesn't appear on their website anymore.
posted by cazoo at 8:09 PM on November 8, 2009

(According to lore, the original jackets were based on the "sports uniform" (so cricket jacket is probably correct) of Mill Hill School, which was across the street from where they were working on developing the series. The modern uniform is said to have been "rationalised".)
posted by dhartung at 10:03 PM on November 8, 2009

Try searching on "cricket blazer"
posted by Lazlo Hollyfeld at 7:35 AM on November 9, 2009

Here's a place that sells the buttons.
posted by zusty at 1:24 PM on November 10, 2009

« Older Ascii-art app for OS X?   |   Best video codec for embedding into PowerPoint? Newer »