Help me find a winter coat in Tokyo!

I'll be in Tokyo in a few weeks, and I want to buy a new winter coat while I'm there. Budget: $250ish. I'm looking for something fairly simple, classic and durable. I'm not going to have too much time for shopping, so I'd like suggestions of specific shops I could visit, and if possible, links to online stores so that I can have an idea of what to expect.

If it helps, I'm looking for a grey wool coat, of about knee length or shorter (on a short person): maybe something like this, though I'd prefer if it were single-breasted and had a higher wool content.

It doesn't have to be something that can only be found in Japan - I live in the tropics and there isn't much of a selection over here, so this trip is my best chance to find a replacement for my current coat.

Thanks in advance!
posted by Athelthral to Clothing, Beauty, & Fashion (12 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

You should make your gender a little bit more explicit.
posted by that girl at 6:14 PM on November 5, 2009

It may be better to buy one here. The exchange rate is not super, and sizes WILL be an issue, unless you wear a size 6 US Woman's or smaller!

Burlington Coat Factory has wonderful coats in classic styles at good prices.

If you are worried about it taking up room in your luggage, you can either wear it on the plane, or have it shipped later.
posted by Jinx of the 2nd Law at 6:17 PM on November 5, 2009

She's not from America. She's from the tropics.
posted by kylej at 6:19 PM on November 5, 2009

Response by poster: You should make your gender a little bit more explicit.

Good point. I'm female. I'm also Asian, so sizes shouldn't be a problem.
posted by Athelthral at 6:26 PM on November 5, 2009

Jinx is correct about sizes being an issue (if you are, say, an average Westerner).
posted by Conrad Cornelius o'Donald o'Dell at 6:26 PM on November 5, 2009

Looks like preview failed me!
posted by Conrad Cornelius o'Donald o'Dell at 6:27 PM on November 5, 2009

Best answer: Alright. I just checked in with my brother, who runs the American branch of a major Japanese apparel company and is about as well-versed with the Tokyo fashion world as you could hope for. He says:
Depends on level of fashion. If price is #1 issue, go to Uniqlo. Otherwise try Jill by Jill Stuart for super cute and affordable.
posted by Conrad Cornelius o'Donald o'Dell at 6:44 PM on November 5, 2009

Best answer: Muji might be best if you want something simple. These coats might be up your alley. There are Muji outlets all over the country, but for the best selection you should probably visit the centrally-located, large main branch in Yurakucho.

If you want something more expensive or designer, visit Mitsukoshi (Ginza) or Isetan (Shinjuku) and browse around. I'm sure you can find something under 25,000 yen.
posted by armage at 10:04 PM on November 5, 2009

Best answer: Seconding Muji, and you might want to visit Uniqlo, also. They have lots of long and short pea coats with a range of wool contents (I checked for you last night).

Grey is easy to find, as well as your other Tokyo mainstay, black. Some other options available too. This store always matches the classic-quality-cost triangle for me. You will find one in any major shopping area.
posted by whatzit at 10:44 PM on November 5, 2009

If you don't find what you're looking for in Tokyo, YesStyle.com has plenty of women's outerwear in Asian styles at good prices.
posted by junesix at 1:42 AM on November 6, 2009

Response by poster: Jill Stuart is a great suggestion! We have Muji and Uniqlo over here, but most of the winter stuff isn't in yet - I'll be sure to check out the main branches. I'll also have a look at the department stores, though I remember being rather intimidated by the price tags last time I was there. Thanks for all the responses!
posted by Athelthral at 5:59 PM on November 6, 2009

UNIQLO comes highly recommended. The overseas locations don't seem to get the same inventory, and my girlfriend could not be more pleased with the coat she got secondhand and only later discovered was from UNIQLO (instead of, as she's suspected, someplace far more expensive and upscale).
posted by DoctorFedora at 10:00 PM on November 8, 2009

« Older Help me identify this animal we've not seen   |   1999 Toyota Camry Check Engine Light Problems Newer »