Lost Combination for Rather Expensive Luggage Lock

I have inadvertently spun the dial and reset the combination for this lock while it was open and the shank spun out. Now I can't get it to close without the unknown new combination. Any suggestions? I've tried listening for tell-tale "clicks" to no avail; that's about where my lock breaking skills currently end.
posted by whitewall to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (7 answers total)

There are only 1,000 possibilities. If you have time and patience you can just try them all.
posted by procrastination at 8:05 AM on October 29, 2009

Best answer: If it's like the one we have at home (looks identical) then it doesn't change the code when you spin the dials - it changes them when you spin the dials and the loop is in the correct position. That position (for ours) is 180 off the closed position and pushed down (like you're closing it).

Our one doesn't force you to get the code right before resetting (you got it open, who cares). Are you sure you can't get it back into that 'sweet' spot and reset it again?
posted by twine42 at 8:08 AM on October 29, 2009

I did this once - it really doesn't take that long to try 000, 001, 002, etc. You don't even have to think of it as trying 1000 combintions as the correct one has a 50% chance of being in the first 500...
posted by EndsOfInvention at 8:11 AM on October 29, 2009

Wait--it's open now? Can't you lust look inside as you work the dials?
posted by MrMoonPie at 8:17 AM on October 29, 2009

Response by poster: Thank you, twine42! Your answer got me headed off in the right direction. The open end of the lock was bent and not hitting the recess square on. If I squish it open, it works fine; it wasn't that the combination was wrong at all.

Thank you all for your responses. They're much appreciated.
posted by whitewall at 8:26 AM on October 29, 2009

I... got a big grey box for being wrong...? :)
posted by twine42 at 8:46 AM on October 29, 2009 [1 favorite]

Looks like you've got it solved, but I saw this interesting image linked in this FPP a while back. Unfortunately that site is down, but the image lives elsewhere.
posted by Barry B. Palindromer at 9:35 AM on October 29, 2009 [1 favorite]

« Older Zombie cowboy wants naaaaaaames.   |   Definition: Experience you must experience? Newer »