1983 Honda Emmisions Help

Failed the air system inspection for Arizona emissions. What does that mean?

I have a 1983 Honda Accord, carbureted, that I just took to Arizona emissions testing. It passed all of the criteria with flying colors except next to Air System it says "Failed." Down below it says that the vehicle has passed the emissions test but failed the equipment test. I can't get it registered till it passes. The only thing I noticed before taking it in is that there was a hole in hose that, I believe, brings air from the radiator to the top of the carburetor.
posted by nestor_makhno to Travel & Transportation (6 answers total)

No. Air from the crankcase, maybe, to the top of the carburetor. NEVER air from the
radiator. Once you fully understand why you failed, it will be less intimidating, and it
will be easier to fix.
I have a karmic debt to carbureted Hondas. Post a picture of the problem. It can be
dealt with.
posted by the Real Dan at 9:01 PM on October 22, 2009

Response by poster: Here are pictures 1, 2 and 3.

Image 1 - Front of car is to the left, the hose in question enters the carburetor at the top of the frame.
Image 2 - Front of car is at the bottom, the ribbed hose is the one with a 2 inch tear on the underside.
Image 3 - Front of car is to the right, another angle of the hose.

When I took it in three guys were standing around staring at the engine before a more senior guy came up and said that it "was a pass pass."

Not sure if it is that hose or not, it was the only thing obvious to my eyes. Thanks for the help!
posted by nestor_makhno at 9:22 PM on October 22, 2009

The ribbed hose directs fresh, cool air from outside the engine compartment (next to the radiator) into the air cleaner above the carburetor. A small tear shouldn't cause any problems, and I highly doubt it would fail inspection.

Last time I failed an equipment test, I believe it was because the charcoal canister was missing. I didn't need an actual emissions test though, just a visual inspection to verify the proper equipment was present and hooked up.

Your best bet is probably to have the mechanic who tested it tell you what is missing / incorrect.

I am not a mechanic, but I always work on my own vehicles.
posted by K5 at 9:58 PM on October 22, 2009

Response by poster: In Az we have to take it to state test places. They won't tell you anything. Just tell you to take it to a mechanic.
posted by nestor_makhno at 10:09 PM on October 22, 2009

Possibly your Honda has an AIR (Air Injection Reaction) pump that's failed ?

It's an emission device that typically injects fresh air into the exhaust manifold.

I don't follow Honda's though.
posted by rfs at 9:31 AM on October 23, 2009

Best answer: From the ADEQ website technical information page:

Tampering: In addition to one of the above tests, a vehicle may undergo a visual inspection to determine the presence of certain emission control components as installed by the manufacturer. Inspection includes catalytic converter, operational air pump, positive crankcase ventilation system and evaporative control system. These inspections coupled with the evaporative system integrity (pressure) test constitute the tampering inspection.

Image 2 and Image 3 seem to indicate a missing hose. You can see the thing that the hose
slides over in image 2, just to the right of the center of the image. In image 3, you can see
the same thing just to the lower right of the center of the image. It appears to be a
cylindrical object that has two hoses going into it, instead of three. What is that thing?

Compare your image 2 to this image from wikipedia of a 1983 Honda Accord engine. See the
difference, there to the lower left of center of the image?

Is this the first time you've ever had it inspected? Have you done any work on it?
posted by the Real Dan at 11:22 PM on October 23, 2009

« Older We need to argue for a local server   |   Memory upgrade for Intel Xeon Mac Pro? Newer »