Please recommend a good gastroenterologist in NYC.
October 15, 2009 3:43 PM   Subscribe

Can someone recommend a good gastroenterologist in NYC?

I'm a 35-year-old male and I've had chronic stomach issues for most of my adult life -- diarrhea, cramps, gas. It doesn't seem to matter what I eat. It's possibly irritable bowel syndrome, but who knows. My primary care doc referred me to a gastroenterologist earlier this year, and I saw him, but I'm still having problems, and I didn't like him all that much anyway -- he didn't have very much bedside manner and didn't seem particularly interested in spending time discussing my issues with me. He did a blood test and found no food allergies. He did an upper endoscopy and said he detected minor acid reflux, which seemed odd, because I rarely burp acid. But he prescribed me omeprazole, an acid blocker. I take it daily but it doesn't seem to help.

I'd go back to this doctor if I thought he was terrific, but I'm open to seeing someone else. I'd love to find a great GI who's attentive and can help me. And again, I'm in NYC. (And I do have health insurance.) Thanks.
posted by anonymous to Health & Fitness (7 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
I see Dr. Yaffee at 201 E. 65th St in Manhattan.
posted by Obscure Reference at 4:05 PM on October 15, 2009

Only I spell it correctly: Yaffe.
posted by Obscure Reference at 4:05 PM on October 15, 2009

Dr. Moshe Rubin, 1020 Park Ave. He was recommended to me by a friend, and he was great. Also, I found his bedside manner both friendly & attentive, which was really refreshing after so many experiences with rushed, dismissive docs.
posted by tigerbelly at 4:21 PM on October 15, 2009

Can't recommend a gastro, but - popping in to suggest that you try to reduce fructose in your diet and see if your symptoms are alleviated. I was misdiagnosed with IBS for years before learning that the problem was really fructose malabsorbtion. Good luck to you!
posted by chez shoes at 4:28 PM on October 15, 2009

My husband (who is a GI pathologist) goes to Dr Robert Pfeffer at NYU. My husband has Crohn's disease and really likes Dr. Pfeffer, although that particular disease is not Pfeffer's specialty.
posted by gaspode at 4:41 PM on October 15, 2009

Lawrence Cohen, (212.996.6633)
311 E 79th St Ste 2A
New York NY, 10075
posted by kathrineg at 8:07 PM on October 15, 2009

I recommend Dr. Ira Breite. Very nice guy who does a good job of laying out your options and walking you through the pros and cons of different treatments.

Phone (212) 362-6468
Fax (212) 362-0851

228 West 82nd Street
New York, NY 10024
posted by jed at 8:18 PM on October 15, 2009

« Older How do I sue an abusive step-parent?   |   Pardon my (art form) ignorance Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.