Do you remember a tender 1990s reality tv-ish documentary on tv about a group of sweet old ladies in a house together?

Looking for a documentary I once saw: Old ladies live together in a house for a while, sort of reality-style. Casual activities, them giving their thoughts on life. At least one of them English, maybe all. Possibly a lake there. Saw it on tv late 90s I think. Very tender. Know it?

I'm trying to find a documentary about old ladies that my mother and I saw on tv mid to late 1990s so I can give it to her for Christmas.

A group of 8 or 10 old ladies were at some kind of retreat in a house together, sort of like on a reality show. But it wasn't the usual competitive, dramatic situation, and there were no elimination or contests or things like that. It came across more like a documentary. I think there was a lake. There was at least some outdoor time. They all could have been English but at least one was, this sweet one whose voice I still remember. I think most were white if not all. I may remember an American black lady or could have made that up.

We both loved it and thought it was so tender. At least the old English lady was really sweet and tender but I think that was the overall effect. If there was tension between the ladies as happens in these strangers-in-a-house-together situations, it wasn't major. It was just them going about various casual activities and giving their thoughts on life during interview time and narration. It was so human.

It was probably on PBS but could have been on what were then learny channels like TLC or Discovery or something. I don't know what it was called or when it was made or why they were at the house/retreat exactly.

Does any of this ring a bell? Searches with various combinations of the above keywords so far have produced nothing. No luck on IMDB power search. It's not about two eccentric old ladies, or cat ladies, or bag ladies, or old Chinese fisherladies, or Afghan ladies, or bingo ladies, or lunch ladies, or Iron ladies - some of the search results I've gotten.
posted by Askr to Media & Arts (2 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

I believe the movie you're looking for is the Canadian film Strangers in Good Company. It's one of my favorites, too!
posted by crepesofwrath at 8:28 AM on October 12, 2009

Ha! Excellent work. I think this is it. I think that's my sweet little English lady in the front in that picture!

I didn't recall this being fiction, or the part about them being stranded, but it's been a long time. Sounds like they were playing themselves, so it's sort of nonfiction. Thank you so much. This is going to be a winner present. I love your username, by the way.
posted by Askr at 9:03 AM on October 12, 2009

« Older Everybody dies. How do they look?   |   A cute bra in a large size? Newer »