La Guardia to 8th Ave&20th St.

Flying into LaGuardia Tuesday afternoon. Best way to Chelsea?

The Q33 to the subway, the M60 to Columbia then the train, the NY Airport Express bus, or taxi?

Wise and savvy New Yorkers, how would YOU do this? (2 carry-ons per person, no checked luggage.)

Bonus Question: Can MetroCards be purchased at LGA?
posted by Danf to Travel & Transportation around New York, NY (25 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

A taxi is going to be faster than any other option, if you have the money. Or one of the shuttle buses to Port Authority, then hop on the train.
posted by roomthreeseventeen at 11:20 AM on September 24, 2009

Response by poster: They say it's around $26 for a taxi. If I catch one, what would the customary tip be for that trip?
posted by Danf at 11:22 AM on September 24, 2009

I'd tip $5 or $6 on $26.
posted by roomthreeseventeen at 11:25 AM on September 24, 2009

Agreeing with all the above. I ride public transit whenever possible, and I've done both the Q33 and the M60--they take forever, even before you get to the subway. A cab really is your best option from LGA, and a $5-6 tip is correct.
posted by neroli at 11:34 AM on September 24, 2009

I tried plotting this out for someone else recently as well -- he was trying to get from LGA to Brooklyn. The cab took 20 minutes, vs. the bus-and-subway's two hours. I'd figure on another ten-fifteen minutes at most for a ride from LGA to Chelsea (traffic permitting, of course).
posted by EmpressCallipygos at 11:40 AM on September 24, 2009

Another option might be SuperShuttle. Shared ride, you can arrange it at the airport or in advance, and should give you a nice shot straight on.
posted by mephron at 11:44 AM on September 24, 2009

Also, once you get into Manhattan, if you get stuck in traffic on the west side anywhere, hop out of the cab and get on the subway. Depending on the time of day, it could save you a lot of time.
posted by roomthreeseventeen at 11:44 AM on September 24, 2009

How many people? If it's more than one person, I'm guessing the cost differential of the cab vs a shuttle bus will not be much (or cheaper).
posted by mandymanwasregistered at 11:56 AM on September 24, 2009

The N train in Astoria will get you to 23rd & Broadway or 14th & Union Square in 30-40 minutes, and it's a quick taxi ride from the airport.

The $26 fare you were quoted does not, I believe, include bridge tolls - the more direct bridge routes will all involve tolls.

What time of day? If it's at all near rush hour (e.g. post-3pm), I'd consider just hopping a taxi over to the Astoria stop on the N train - rush hour in NYC is brutal, no matter what direction you're going in.
posted by swngnmonk at 11:58 AM on September 24, 2009

The M60 bus is horrendously packed All The Time. I would take a cab to the N train. Or the 7.
posted by gaspode at 12:24 PM on September 24, 2009

Seconding swngnmonk's cab to N train recommendation. If you are not cash sensitive, the cab is probably more comfortable, but depending on traffic and time of day, can take significantly longer.
posted by bastionofsanity at 12:28 PM on September 24, 2009

The best way is to take a cab. You'll pay for this trip either in cash or in frustration.
posted by 2bucksplus at 12:32 PM on September 24, 2009 [1 favorite]

I'm doing this late next Thursday night, going from LaGuardia to Lower East Side. It looks like the SuperShuttle is only $15. That looks like the best deal to me.
posted by mareli at 12:54 PM on September 24, 2009

Response by poster: The N train in Astoria will get you to 23rd & Broadway or 14th & Union Square in 30-40 minutes, and it's a quick taxi ride from the airport.

Since our stop is 8th Ave at 23rd, possibly a taxi ride to the Queens Plaza station to pick up the E train? Then we won't have to transfer in Manhattan.

*thinking*
posted by Danf at 1:07 PM on September 24, 2009

The best way is taxi. And if you have more than one person making the same trip, the taxi becomes more cost-efficient.

If it is during rush hour, you might save some time and money by taking the taxi to the N train to 23rd st, and then the M23 bus west to 8th Ave. But the convenience:cost ratio of a taxi from LGA is very, very high with >1 person.
posted by andrewraff at 1:10 PM on September 24, 2009

That's not a bad idea, actually. I still think it would easier to just take the cab the whole way (unless you get caught in rotten Manhattan traffic--very possible).

If you do go the Queens Plaza route, make sure you go to the Queens Plaza station (which is underground), not Queensborough Plaza, the elevated station a few blocks away.
posted by neroli at 1:21 PM on September 24, 2009

*thinking*

Getting to 8th & 23rd mid-week after 3pm from LaGuardia will be no faster in a taxi than it would be to Taxi to Queens Plaza & hop the E train. I'd seriously consider this route if you're traveling lightly.

Really, NYC traffic doesn't mess around. I'd rather [insert gruesome undesirable fate of choice] than try and get through midtown at rush hour in a Taxi. The subways exist for a reason, take 'em.

I really wish NYC had a good mass-transit option to LaGuardia.
posted by swngnmonk at 1:59 PM on September 24, 2009

The best way is NOT A TAXI all the way to Chelsea.

DON'T TAKE A TAXI! And I'm not saying that because I'm cheap.

Believe me, if you get stuck in traffic you will be miserable and it sucks. I do this route often and a taxi is the worst choice unless I have a broken leg or something.

Your best bet, if you just have carry-ons, is to take the M60 to the N/W, then transfer to the R across the platform, then get out at 23rd and walk a few blocks.

Alternatively, you could get out at 23rd and take a short, $6 cab ride.
posted by kathrineg at 2:15 PM on September 24, 2009

Don't take the M23, my partner takes it every day and it is often slower than walking. It will cost $4.50 for two of you to take the bus, and about the same to take a taxi.
posted by kathrineg at 3:30 PM on September 24, 2009

Take a cab to the 74th Street/Jackson Hts. subway station on Roosevelt Ave. Even closer to LaGuardia than the Queens Plaza station. From 74th St., you can catch the E/F/G/R/V/7 trains into Manhattan. The E or F are fastest for getting to Chelsea.

Just make sure the driver avoids Roosevelt Ave. as much as possible. Both Northern Blvd and 34th Ave run parallel to Roosevelt and traffic moves much better on either.
posted by Majorita at 10:01 PM on September 24, 2009

I used to live in Chelsea and flew in and out of LGA at least twice weekly. I would strongly advise you to ignore any answer in this thread that doesn't involve a taxi, and only a taxi.
There are a number of bus / train / walk combinations that may in the end save you a few minutes over the time you might spend sitting in traffic. None of them are worth the hassle.

Stay in the cab and work on your blackberry.
posted by allkindsoftime at 6:12 AM on September 25, 2009

Yeah, after thinking about it overnight you might as well take a cab...I fly a lot and enjoy trying out various combinations of transit but it probably won't be fun for you if you don't already know what you're doing.
posted by kathrineg at 7:33 AM on September 25, 2009

Response by poster: I have been to NYC only once but pretty much got the "hang" of the MTA. No LIRR or anything like that, though.

Right now, I am leaning towards a taxi to the E train, or just a taxi. The advantage of flying into JFK is that the E is not packed, like it will probably be when and if we pick it up.
posted by Danf at 8:05 AM on September 25, 2009

I used to babysit for a family on the E all the time. It is not bad from Queens Plaza at that time of day. It's a commuter train and everyone will be in Manhattan already.
posted by kathrineg at 10:05 AM on September 25, 2009

I also agree with the taxi to the E train option. It'll cost you less than $12 not including tip ($2) and then you'll pay $2.25 each for the train to Chelsea which since there's the two of you together won't be such a bad thing.

I'm basing my fare amount on how much it used to cost me to get to/from the Grand Ave. stop on the G/R/V and that's one stop away from the Roosevelt Ave. stop.
posted by TrishaLynn at 11:17 AM on September 25, 2009

« Older How easy are self-leveling cement compounds to use...   |   Goosey Goosey Gander, why do you march like that? Newer »