soulSuX: I need music!

Its been a couplefew years and there is still no decent music sharing solution for mac? Theres got to be something, right?

This is the only headache I have from switching to mac. Ive been told they search the same database but I dont buy it, soulSeeX on mac does not return anywhere near the results slsk does on PC. Same deal with solarseek and nicotine. Whats the secret?
posted by ElmerFishpaw to Computers & Internet (6 answers total) 6 users marked this as a favorite

With a combination of Vuse and hypemachine (click on "read full post"), I never have trouble finding what I want.
posted by oinopaponton at 6:24 AM on September 24, 2009

BitTorrent and IsoHunt?
posted by gregr at 6:48 AM on September 24, 2009

What you need to do is find a good private BitTorrent tracker site for music.
posted by chunking express at 7:38 AM on September 24, 2009

aMule. Google for a server list that will let you bootstrap into the Kad network and then do a global search for your songs/albums. Giving torrents a second try would likely bring better results, though. Unless you have very niche tastes, the objects of which can't sustain a torrent but will still show up on a old-school p2p all-in-one client/network, of course. The technical barriers are very low now; the hardest part now is finding a tracker site that doesn't make you miserable.
posted by cowbellemoo at 7:40 AM on September 24, 2009

There's a newer build of soulseeX that fixes a bug (it doesn't listen on the right port) on Intel Macs that I reported several years ago. For some reason he never posted a link to it on the site. Maybe give it a try.
posted by zsazsa at 7:49 AM on September 24, 2009

Best answer: Ah, it looks like Soulseek moved to a different server, and ssX doesn't use it by default. Here's how to get it to.
posted by zsazsa at 7:53 AM on September 24, 2009

« Older Time won't fill itself...   |   Should I confront my roommates? Newer »