Your Favorite Recording of "Ring Around The Rosie"

Can anybody recommend a recording of "Ring Around The Rosie" that would have some charm and interest for a grown up? Or at least not drive you crazy when you listen to it again and again? Traditional versions of the song are fine, as are creative reinterpretations--but they need to be close enough to the original that my toddler won't think I'm pulling a fast one on her next time she asks to have it played.
posted by yankeefog to Media & Arts (10 answers total)

The Jaynetts' "Sally Go 'Round The Roses" is inspired by "Ring Around The Rosie". I think it's a great song, but I don't know if your toddler will go for it!
posted by soundofsuburbia at 3:47 AM on September 22, 2009 [1 favorite]

No leads here I'm afraid, except to say that this would make a great MeFi Music Challenge: Re-imagine a classic nursery rhyme and make it sound good to adult ears. Perhaps you should suggest it to flapjax at midnite?
posted by embrangled at 4:44 AM on September 22, 2009 [1 favorite]

I suggest "Twinkle, twinkle, little star."
posted by RichardS at 4:50 AM on September 22, 2009

Parent's puts out a few CDs with some songs that aren't totally horrible. Play was pretty decent (if I remember the name correctly), although I don't think Ring Around the Rosie was on it - but I'll tell you - I haven't minded listening to Row Row Row your Boat, Bingo, the Macarena, or the Hokey Pokey.

Also, check out Pancake Mountain - It features contemporary music geared towards kids (Jason Mraz, Arcade fire, jurasic five, george clinton, henry rollins, Bad Religion, among many many others). It might cost you a few bucks for some DVDs (unless you live near DC), and some of the in-between content is just "meh", but it is strongly geared towards music.
posted by Nanukthedog at 6:13 AM on September 22, 2009

"We All Live in a Yellow Submarine" is ear candy for toddlers. I used to work at a preschool and the kids would sing it for weeks. At least it's a longer song.
posted by effluvia at 7:06 AM on September 22, 2009

Be aware that toddlers crave repetition. Mindless, endless, exact repetition. It's part of their learning process. Studies on this produced Blues Clues, which repeated the same episode every day of the week, moving on to the next episode in the next week.

Even varying the song a little may upset her. If so, try adding the new song into the mix. (Or be prepared to weather the storm.)
posted by IAmBroom at 7:53 AM on September 22, 2009

Hmmm...here's an option if she ever goes for other traditional songs. My daughter doesn't know any other version of Skinnamarink.
posted by peagood at 11:28 AM on September 22, 2009

Oh - from one of their CDs there's an MP3 off "Buffy Spears" doing the song - I wouldn't say it has "charm" for an adult, but it's so bad it's almost good.

http://204.15.80.137/_media/mgr/mp3/cd2_10_rosiepreview.mp3
posted by peagood at 11:34 AM on September 22, 2009

I just encountered what is hands-down the most charming version of Old MacDonald that I have ever heard, so I'm compelled to recommend it. Not a modernization, but a 1926 recording of adult men singing a song which includes not just ducks (quack quack) but a Ford (rattle rattle) and a still (drip drip). Or maybe you don't want your charming daughter singing about distillery?

However, I can't help you with Ring Around the Rosie.
posted by aimedwander at 7:12 PM on September 22, 2009

Thanks, everyone!
posted by yankeefog at 1:38 AM on September 23, 2009

« Older Maybe not the Sleep Eazy Motel, though   |   Writing manuals for biographers Newer »