Shipping art over the ocean

I'm looking for international shipping strategies and recommendations, UK to Canada.

I have a large amount of family ephemera and memorabilia - mostly old photographs, notebooks, small framed pictures, etc., - that needs to be shipped from London, UK, to Canada. It's probably two standard archive boxes worth in its un-bubble-wrapped state. In addition, there are also 4 or 5 large glass-framed artworks (probably about 1m x 70cm max) that have to go the same way.

Does anyone have any tips or recommendations for getting this stuff over the ocean cost-effectively? I suspect the latter needs some kind of art specialist, but would they also take the family ephemera? Or would we be better off just bubble-wrapping the ephemera into standard FedEx (or other) boxes? None of it is enormously valuable.

Any personal recommendations or suggestions would be hugely welcome. Thank you in advance.
posted by jonathanbell to Travel & Transportation (1 answer total)

Companies that ship boxes, etc, overseas often advertise in that TNT magazine that's often outside tube stations; they do target their ads at Antipodeans shipping crates of belongings home, but I'm sure they would also be able to help UK <> Canada needs. They would also be able to advise, and possibly provide supplies, for safely packaging your art.
posted by mahke at 7:10 AM on September 16, 2009

« Older Script/extension to display third-party shipping...   |   Where to spend a 4-day weekend in SE Asia? Newer »