Antique hinge
September 8, 2009 11:29 AM   Subscribe

What type of hinge is this? It came from a cedar folding card table. The three hinges wore out over time and snapped like this one. I'd like to replace them.
posted by davidriley to Home & Garden (3 answers total)
Looks like a Soss hinge, as seen here and here (which is the same as what odinsdream found elsewhere).
posted by le morte de bea arthur at 11:39 AM on September 8, 2009

Best answer: That's called a SOSS hinge. A particularly old one that might be a pain in the ass to replace.

You could try some some cabinets shops or specialty hardware suppliers that might have the older style SOSS hinges but you'll probably have to replace it with an updated version. You might get lucky and find an exact match for it. GL
posted by Gravitus at 11:40 AM on September 8, 2009

Lee Valley has zamak versions of the SOSS hinge that'll be a lot more durable than your original stamped steel versions. If you can't find an exact match a slightly larger hinge is pretty easy to make fit by enlarging the mortise.
posted by Mitheral at 1:10 PM on September 8, 2009

« Older Problem Viewing Flash   |   Locking the side-door in a VW Transporter panel... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.