Can I get a math teaching job in Denver?

I have a career, but want to change over and teach high school math here in Denver. I'd have to get hired first to get into the alternative teacher certification program. Will it be impossible to get a math teaching job?
posted by tamaraster to Education (8 answers total)

I can't speak to the requirements or possibilities in Denver, but I remember being in Florida around 2004 and the school systems being so desperate for math and science teachers that they were taking anyone with a college degree. I even knew a girl who had simply taken a few higher level math classes in college, but who had not majored in math or any related subjects, and they pushed her into teaching middle school math.

Anecdata, yes, but perhaps a bit of proof that anything is possible, depending upon the desperation of the school district and the rules governing state teaching licensure.
posted by scarykarrey at 10:17 AM on September 8, 2009

Response by poster: I will have a math degree (BS) in May, before I apply. I meant to mention that above.
posted by tamaraster at 10:19 AM on September 8, 2009

Best answer: I got offered a couple jobs in FL teaching math and science at the high school level, but only after filling the position as a long-term sub. I did apply for jobs at other schools, but wasn't offered them. This past year wasn't a good year for teaching jobs in my district, though. Lots of teacher layoffs. My degree is in biochemistry, BTW.

So yeah, my advice would be look into working as a substitute, especially a long-term sub in your area of interest, at the schools you'd like to apply to. Not localized to Denver, but probably a safe bet there as well.
posted by molybdenumblue at 11:07 AM on September 8, 2009

You may be under the impression that you will get to teach the smart motivated students. Maybe in Denver you will, but in NYC, especially if you got certified in a special program, they would start you on the students who don't want to be there.
posted by Obscure Reference at 11:24 AM on September 8, 2009

This is true, and also a good reason to get your feet wet subbing first.
posted by molybdenumblue at 11:31 AM on September 8, 2009

Response by poster:
You may be under the impression that you will get to teach the smart motivated students.
I'm not under that impression at all - I figure if I get a job it will be in a school people don't want to work in, in a job people don't want.
posted by tamaraster at 12:21 PM on September 8, 2009

One way to get some experience would be to tutor. You could volunteer at the local school, or do it for money. You're more likely to get a job in a middle school than a high school because a lot of people find middle school teaching way more difficult. Have you considered enrolling in an MAT program?
posted by mareli at 6:06 PM on September 8, 2009

Response by poster: I have considered it - I'm just not sure how to survive with no income.
posted by tamaraster at 9:02 AM on September 9, 2009

« Older CharlotteNC filter: What to do next weekend?   |   How do I soundproof a ceiling without ripping it... Newer »