Can non-UK citizens enter BBC game shows?

Are non-UK residents eligible to enter the BBC quiz show Mastermind?

I'm interested in applying for the 2010 series of Mastermind, a BBC quiz show. However, I can't work out from the program's website whether or not I would be eligible to participate.

I'm an Irish citizen, living in Ireland, and would be able to go to the Belfast audition centre (or else take a short flight to England). Is there anything in the terms and conditions (which I can't find, aside from "We regret that BBC members of staff and their immediate families are not eligible to apply") that restricts entry to UK citizens?
posted by rollick to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (7 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Well there's no country field on the application form, so I would assume they're only expecting British applicants.
posted by EndsOfInvention at 8:38 AM on September 5, 2009

No country field on the online application, that is - the PDF just has a space for the address.
posted by EndsOfInvention at 8:42 AM on September 5, 2009

I would try emailing them, mastermind@bbc.co.uk, or failing that give them a call, 0870 010 0222.
posted by nam3d at 9:29 AM on September 5, 2009

I suspect you'll be fine. If you're interested, then calling the BBC wouldn't be the end of the world:

BBC Information line from saynoto0870.com:

Geographical number: 0370 010 0222
Freephone (probably not valid from Ireland): 0800 0928925
posted by Magnakai at 9:29 AM on September 5, 2009

No country field is unpromising, EndsOfInvention, but there are four countries in the UK, so I'm still hopeful.

I've sent an email, and I'll see what they say. If I don't get a response by Monday, I'll try ringing. Thanks for the contact details, nam3d and Magnakai.
posted by rollick at 12:31 PM on September 5, 2009

Previous contestant have definitely included Americans resident in the UK, I think giving them a call is the best way to get the definitive answer - good luck (and let us know the outcome!)
posted by ceri richard at 1:09 PM on September 5, 2009

ditto ceri richard let us know how you get on.
posted by nam3d at 3:54 PM on September 5, 2009

« Older SFO to Downtown after midnight   |   Help me accept aging. Newer »