What movie is this?

Please help me remember what movie I'm thinking of.

Trying to figure out the name of a movie I saw years ago. I want to say it came out in the early to mid 90's, give or take. It was aimed at either kids or teens, not an adult movie. The main details I can recall: a decent portion of it (maybe all?) took place in a desert. There were definitely two teen/young adults, a boy and a girl, (possibly a younger brother/sister/pet that accompanied them as well - or not). At one point the two mains are separated, but then they find each other again and have an emotional/dramatic reunion (still in the desert). I think possibly someone is chasing them, but don't remember specifics. Might have been an adventure movie. I know this is very vague, but does anyone have a clue what I'm thinking of?
posted by Kattiara17 to Media & Arts (10 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Desert Blue maybe? It takes place in a desert, more characters though. And I can't remember too much about it.
posted by abitha! at 2:59 PM on September 2, 2009

Holes? It's not a boy and a girl, but two boys. And I don't remember them being separated, but the desert is big theme in the movie.

You could try a Power search on IMDB, putting "desert" in the keyword field and selecting "Family" for the genre. Excluding all the tv and video stuff (using the drop down boxes), I get 71 titles.
posted by soelo at 3:03 PM on September 2, 2009

A Far Off Place, starring a young Reese Witherspoon?

The witty Nonni and the stuck-up city-boy Harry are the only ones to survive a massacre of a gang of poachers among the gamekeeper's family on his lonesome farm in the savanna. Now the ruthless murderers are after them as the only witnesses. Without a means of transportation, the only way to escape is to walk through 2000 kilometers of Kalahari desert with the help of the African bushman Xhabbo. On the months-long journey ahead they not only become good friends against their differences, but also realize that every one of them has strength and skills that are required to survive.
posted by amethysts at 3:06 PM on September 2, 2009

Walkabout?
posted by now i'm piste at 3:06 PM on September 2, 2009

Ooh, it might be A Far Off Place.
posted by soelo at 3:07 PM on September 2, 2009

I could vaguely twist the plot of Terminator or Terminator II into the description you provided... are either of those movies the movie you are thinking of?
posted by Nanukthedog at 3:09 PM on September 2, 2009

Oops, sorry for not previewing. A Far Off Place is the first result in the power search I described above, but that's only because it's sorted alphabetically.
posted by soelo at 3:10 PM on September 2, 2009

My money's on Walkabout ... was it extremely long and slow and ponderous?
posted by jbickers at 3:17 PM on September 2, 2009

Ahh it's A Far Off Place!! I am amazed, as always, at the power of MeFi. Thanks! :D
posted by Kattiara17 at 3:21 PM on September 2, 2009

I was totally fascinated by that movie and watched it a bunch of times for some reason!
posted by amethysts at 3:23 PM on September 2, 2009

« Older Who makes the glasses from A Scanner Darkly   |   Delicious, mid-range downtown Calgary restaurant Newer »