What's this beat style called?
August 30, 2009 6:57 PM   Subscribe

IANAMusician: The Libertines' song "Last Post on the Bugle" (in the intro) and "Pull Shapes" by the Pipettes (in the first verse) are examples of this beatbeat-beat rhythm that I keep hearing in songs that I like. My Google-fu has failed me; is there a name for this kind of beat? What other songs have it?
posted by theraflu to Media & Arts (5 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
I tried and failed to find a good source that made the connection explicitly, but it's a surf rock beat.
posted by invitapriore at 9:26 PM on August 30, 2009

It's just a basic backbeat, hitting on the 2s and 4s, with a consistent ghost note on the e of 2. Invitapriore is correct in that that phrase was used in surf music (example), but it was also used in do-wop, rock, and punk.

Here's a breakdown of the same basic beat a la the White Stripes. (Although it moves the e to 4, and adds a slight shuffle.)
posted by ochenk at 9:46 PM on August 30, 2009

I always think of this classic example - Surfin' Bird
posted by orme at 3:47 PM on August 31, 2009

Oh, and Dick Dale of course.
posted by orme at 3:49 PM on August 31, 2009

Ok, one more, because I really love this song!
posted by orme at 3:57 PM on August 31, 2009

« Older Nice set of wheels you got there—   |   Teach me to drink in Ireland! Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.