In Manhattan. Want to swim laps.

Where to swim in Manhattan?

I'm looking for a good lap pool in Manhattan, in midtown or on the upper east side.

I'm familiar with the Manhattan Swim and Athletic Club (used to be a member, but SO expensive). I am looking into the Manhattan Plaza Health Club (it's a little out of the way for me, but any member or former member insights about the club would be appreciated).

Are there any other swimming pools that I should look into that are comparably large (75 ft long or so, not the wimpy, tiny pools that the New York Health and Racquet Clubs/Equinox have)?
posted by slateyness to Health & Fitness (11 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

NPR did a story recently about dumpsters in Bkyln being converted into swimming pools, so you could try that! Not really comparably large, I'm afraid...
posted by Lutoslawski at 12:13 PM on August 27, 2009

There are free pools!
posted by avex at 12:18 PM on August 27, 2009

Thanks avex- I'm looking for something indoors for as the weather gets colder!
posted by slateyness at 12:28 PM on August 27, 2009

Reebok Sports Club near Lincoln Center has a nice pool but membership is $200+ per month.
posted by dfriedman at 12:29 PM on August 27, 2009

There are both outdoor and indoor pools in that list, such as in Chelsea. Although for indoor pools I believe you have to be a member but it is very cheap.
posted by avex at 12:35 PM on August 27, 2009

There's also the SoHo Club's pool, but again, membership is very expensive.
posted by dfriedman at 12:37 PM on August 27, 2009

I think Chelsea Piers has a big pool in the health club. That, however, is bound to be a very pricey option.
posted by Citrus at 1:16 PM on August 27, 2009

the chinatown ymca on bowery/east houston (right underneath whole foods) is about two or three years old and has a really nice swimming pool, membership is about $90 or so a month. seahorse fitness on the lower east side has a heated pool, membership is $350 a year.
posted by lia at 2:03 PM on August 27, 2009

The McBurney YMCA on 14th at 6th Ave has a great pool as well.
posted by snickerdoodle at 2:36 PM on August 27, 2009

How about the pool at Asphalt Green (90th and York, I believe)?

posted by Tandem Affinity at 10:46 AM on August 29, 2009

At 77th and Cherokee Place (a pseudo-street east of York) there is a public outdoor pool. It is part of what I believe is called John Jay Park. Free adult lap swim 7a - 8:25a but closes for the winter after Labor Day, so scurry on over!
posted by keasby at 7:51 AM on September 1, 2009

« Older Quotation help: defend domestic fiction.   |   Help our printing to go green! Newer »