Learn Armenian Online

What are some free online resources for learning Armenian?
posted by JTKestrel to Writing & Language (4 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

The best free language learning site I have found Good luck!
posted by Cuddo at 1:05 PM on August 22, 2009

It looks like the Peace Corps has language lessons available here and there is a Peace Corps PDF containing instructional materials available through ERIC, the Educational Resources Information Center.

There are also brief text-based lessons at Armeniapedia and at learnarmenian.com.

In general, I have found the How-to-learn-any-language.com forum a great resource for language learning and specific language program information. Often there are references to free online resources.
posted by nobodyyouknow at 1:10 PM on August 22, 2009 [1 favorite]

Oh, and I forgot to mention that you might check at a local library about the possibility of getting audio courses, something like the Pimsleur courses, via interlibrary loan. WorldCat might help with identifying a library close to you that would have access to the materials that you require.
posted by nobodyyouknow at 1:58 PM on August 22, 2009

Eastern or Western? (Eastern is spoken in the Republic of Armenia and Western is spoken by most diasporans) and if you're not sure, reply or me-mail me and I can try to help you figure it out.

As an Armenian language learner, I'd say that what is on Armeniapedia is the most grammatical/linguistically oriented. (It is a Soviet era textbook).

If you're just trying to "get by" in Armenia, Pimsleur worked for my SO to be able to count and buy stuff.
posted by k8t at 5:13 PM on August 22, 2009

« Older Jazz standards for kids to sing   |   Help a man buy a wristwatch Newer »