I need to find a 12" iBook cover that's waterproof.

Can anyone suggest a waterproof sleeve for my newly ordered 12' iBook? I'm looking for something I can slip the iBook into before putting it in my backpack. The backpack itself offers good protection from rain, but isn't perfect. The MacCase Sleeve says it has a waterproof fabric, but the flap only covers 90% of the opening,
posted by will to Shopping (9 answers total)

I use a Marware Sportfolio Sleeve. I don't know how waterproof the sleeve itself is, but it's great protection for my 12" Powerbook when I put it in my waterproof messenger bag. I've used mine a bunch of times, and I love it. Chances are, if you use both together, it'll be pretty waterproof unless you're caught a monsoon.

if you see this in stores, you'll want to get the one for the iBook - the Powerbook is of a slightly different dimension, and it's so tight fitting that it may not fit your iBook correctly.
posted by spinifex23 at 11:26 PM on December 16, 2004

I've been happy with the ZeroShock sleeve. It doesn't particularly mention water resistance in the description, but after a semester of tossing it in my bag, I've had no complaints about protection.
posted by stefnet at 3:44 AM on December 17, 2004

I also recommend either this or the "School Hymn" sleeve from Crumpler.
posted by stefnet at 4:18 AM on December 17, 2004

I've had great luck with Booq's products. Sleeve covers our iBook perfectly, protects it from most everything pretty well.
posted by Remy at 5:03 AM on December 17, 2004

I've been very happy with my Courierware sleeve. They claim they're sized to fit Macs. I've used one with my Powerbook, and my wife has one for her Dell.
posted by sohcahtoa at 5:28 AM on December 17, 2004

Very happy with my Incase 12" sleeve, for my G4 powerbook. I use it both as a sleeve (in a backpack), and as it's own bag w/ a shoulder strap. It's definitely water resistant, but still, I wouldn't go carrying it in any downpours. Incase also has alot of other options.
posted by thirdparty at 6:21 AM on December 17, 2004

I use WaterField Designs' SleeveCase. Click on a different picture to see it with the $15 flap add-on.

I think they're stupid to even produce a version without the flap. But they do make a good product.
posted by cribcage at 8:49 AM on December 17, 2004

I'm late to the party here, but for absolute waterproofing how about one of those dry bags for kayakers and canoeists? This one from REI should hold your laptop.
posted by LarryC at 9:22 AM on December 19, 2004

Late here as well - but I finally picked up a neoprene/rubber sleve for my iBook 12.1 at Frys. Made by Tucano. I love it.
posted by mrbill at 2:29 AM on January 9, 2005

« Older Evolution test: Is this a joke?   |   How can I make my dual 1.25GHz Powermac quieter? Newer »