What are some good 7200 RPM 60GB+ 2.5" drives that are suitable for installation in an Apple TiBook?

What are some good 7200 RPM 60GB+ 2.5" drives that are suitable for installation in an Apple TiBook? Recommendations on where to buy?
posted by namespan to Computers & Internet (8 answers total)

The Hitachi Travelstar 7200RPM notebook drives are at the top of the heap. I recommend getting them at NewEgg. Great prices, fast service, and cheap FedEx shipping. I've got one in a Dell notebook and it's quieter than the 5400 it replaced and doesn't get any hotter. The idle noise is a sort of "whoosh"ing noise, much better than the whine older drives would make.
posted by zsazsa at 7:13 PM on December 16, 2004

Check out this thread, as the TiBook takes the same hard drives as the iBook. As a result of that thread, I ended up getting the 60 GB 7200rpm hitachi, and i've been quite happy with it. As zsazsa said, it's quieter and no hotter than the original drive. Be sure to compare prices on the internet, as they can vary pretty widely, particularly with shipping.
posted by rorycberger at 11:05 AM on December 17, 2004

Also, if you are looking for something to do with your old HD, I think I'm going to throw mine into one of these.
posted by rorycberger at 11:29 AM on December 17, 2004

The Hitachi sounds good. Think I'll go for it.

Followup question: are there easy ways to image the old drive onto the new?
posted by namespan at 12:07 PM on December 17, 2004

Half the reason I'm thinking of an iBook instead of a PowerBook is because I want to put in a 7200 hard drive (when you do multitracked audio there's a lot of swapping to the HD) and the iBook takes like 4 hours to take apart every screw in the damn thing if you want to replace the HD. Has anyone done this, and is it worth it?
posted by abcde at 2:16 PM on December 17, 2004

Er, rather, vice versa (tibook rather than ibook)
posted by abcde at 2:33 PM on December 17, 2004

abcde: I haven't done this with an iBook, but I've done maintenance on an older powerbook that invoved taking apart many screws, and it was not fun.
posted by weston at 7:37 PM on December 17, 2004

Easy clone: CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper [search versiontracker or macupdate.com for it].
posted by britain at 10:22 PM on December 17, 2004

« Older Where can I find this specific type of 8.5x11...   |   Suddenly, everything tastes sweet. Newer »