Children'sBookFilter: Please help me identify these two young reader novels which I read many years ago.

The first novel is about young people who find a prison type complex, where the prisoners are tortured, and there are references to Hieronymus Bosch throughout. There is also reference to a black electric netting, which catches those who try to escape.

The second novel is a science fiction novel about children who live in an underground city, with each level of the city connected by a circular ramp to the next level up. Everyone in the city has no idea of any world above ground. The children go up further and further to higher and higher levels to see what is at the top. They finally reach disused cargo ramps, and then get above ground. They are the first to emerge from the underground city in many years. It comes out at the end of the novel that much of the world population is being held underground in these cities.

I've been searching Google in vain for these for some time - any help you could give would be fantastic.
posted by dave99 to Writing & Language (5 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Best answer: I think the first is "The Silver Crown" by Robert O'Brien.
posted by iconomy at 7:23 AM on August 15, 2009

Best answer: The second might possibly be "This Time of Darkness by H. M. Hoover.
posted by iconomy at 7:26 AM on August 15, 2009 [1 favorite]

Not a children's book, but The Penultimate Truth, by Philip K. Dick has underground dwellers. One of whom reaches the surface. Although, so does Logan's Run.
posted by ActingTheGoat at 7:45 AM on August 15, 2009

Response by poster: Bingo - These are totally both the exact books I was after... Thank you so much, iconomy!
posted by dave99 at 7:45 AM on August 15, 2009

Great! Your good descriptions made them easy to find.
posted by iconomy at 1:21 PM on August 15, 2009

« Older Identify a comedian   |   Business owner getting unemployment? Newer »