When can we expect a report from the special prosecutor?
August 12, 2009 8:04 PM   Subscribe

On September 29, 2008, Nora Dannehy was appointed Special Prosecutor by Attorney General Michael Mukasey to direct the criminal probe into the 2006 firings of nine U.S attorneys. According to the Law Blog in the WSJ, she was to turn in her report in 60 days. Obviously that didn't happen. The most recent news I can find is about her interview with Karl Rove on May 15, 2009. Anyone know more than this?
posted by SLOHands to Law & Government (2 answers total)

"A federal prosecutor, Nora Dannehy, is continuing to investigate the firings, including whether officials gave false or misleading statements to Congress." - from today's NYT story about the dramatic new revelations about Rove.

This
suggests the "report" due in 60 days was more of a status report.

Given that Dannehy's name is all over the news today, I question the intent of this question.
posted by CunningLinguist at 8:22 PM on August 12, 2009 [1 favorite]

Unlike, say, an auditor, a prosecutor (special or otherwise) has few real deadlines in an investigation. The best model is to simply assume that charges will be laid when sufficient information about alleged crimes have been assembled.

Given that Dannehy continues to hold the office of Acting U.S. Attorney for the District of Connecticut, she has a lot to handle. In any case, recall that Ken Starr, who had his own office and staff and no other duties, spent multiple years investigating Whitewater.
posted by dhartung at 12:17 AM on August 13, 2009

« Older What Should I Tell The Doctor?   |   Scared to death? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.