Help us identify this plant!

IdentifyPlantFilter: A new plant has sprung up in my Mother's rock garden this year. She loves it, but had no idea what it is! Can you help us identify it?

Characteristics:
Perennial
Tall
Silver somewhat fuzzy leaves
Spreads (in clumps) easily
Pink Flowers

I've upload a few photos of it over here on Flickr.
posted by pghjezebel to Home & Garden (6 answers total)

Lambs ear.
posted by TomMelee at 5:55 AM on August 10, 2009

Lamb's ear.
posted by nax at 6:01 AM on August 10, 2009

I spent ages on the internet trying to figure out what these flowers were earlier this year.

And here they are--rose campion.
posted by dlugoczaj at 6:15 AM on August 10, 2009

Dlugoczaj is right - it's rose campion (Lychnis coronaria), not lamb's ear.
posted by shrabster at 6:19 AM on August 10, 2009

Wow that was fast, it's definitely Rose Campion! Thank you all!
posted by pghjezebel at 6:24 AM on August 10, 2009

Tell mom that Rose Campion is a prolific self seeder and she can easily collect the seeds to direct where it pops up next: wait until a flower head dries up on the stem and then upend into a envelope or bowl. The flower head is shaped like an open topped cup and numerous black seeds will tumble out. Scatter the collected seeds on top of loosely raked soil and she'll have a rose campion carpet next year.
posted by jamaro at 9:06 AM on August 10, 2009

« Older Please help me make school more bearable   |   Which Super Fan Made the Fan Page? Newer »