Help ID this tattoo on metal dude Kvarforth from Shining!

What is this tattoo? - Nicklas Kvarforth, from the swedish metal band SHINING has a tattoo on his chest that I am trying to identify. Any tattooists or art aficionados may have seen this before - can you help?

I realize that this can also be a completely customized piece of work too, but I'm going on the chance that this may a copy of something that already exists. Anyway, the tattoo in question is the little skeleton dude on this chest - you can see it in any of the following photos: here, here, here and here.
posted by punkrockrat to Society & Culture (4 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Given the "Three Empty Words: I ♥ U" business, and the diminutive size of the skeleton, I'd assume it's a skeleton Cupid, not a skeleton angel.
posted by ocherdraco at 7:00 PM on July 25, 2009

I Googled "cherub skeleton" and the closest thing I found was an x-ray of an actual baby with skeleton wings photoshopped on. I didn't go that deep into Google, though, so the original inspiration for the tat, if it exists, might be in there somewhere. Doing image searches with words like "cherub", "cupid", "valentines", "eros", "baby angel", "skeleton", "dead", and "bones" might help.
posted by pseudostrabismus at 12:57 AM on July 26, 2009

Best answer: It's the re-release cover art for the classic Manes - Under Ein Blodraud Maane. I have no idea who drew it, though.

Kvarforth guested for Manes this year, so there's obviously some connection there... hope this helps.
posted by vorfeed at 10:07 AM on July 27, 2009

Response by poster: excellent! thanks vorfeed! really appreciate your help!
posted by punkrockrat at 3:40 PM on July 27, 2009

« Older Synology 409 vs. Seagate Black Armor 440   |   When is a job listing too old? Newer »