DS Lite stuck hinges?

Help! My DS Lite lid won't open.

I'm not sure what happened. I hadn't opened it in a few weeks, took it out of its carrying case today an it seems that the the hinges won't budge. I pull up on the lid and I can tell it's not the screens that are stuck together or anything like that (I thought that might be it, since I recently installed one of those scratch-resistant screen-covers).

What are my best options here so I don't end up breaking the hinges (which I've heard about being a common issue)? Should I try spraying WD-40 around them? Or try putting the DS in the freezer (eek? would that break it?).

Advice is most appreciated.
posted by tybeet to Technology (4 answers total)

You may know this already, but NDS Lite hinges are given to cracking. Maybe your hinge is cracked in a way that makes it difficult to open?
posted by Nelson at 11:06 AM on July 21, 2009

Okay, I gathered my wits and bravery, and carefully applied some WD-40.

Apparently the plastic that overlays the metal-part of the hinge slides back and forth a bit so I worked it into the metal that way, and after a few minutes the lid opened. Whew. False alarm, I suppose.
posted by tybeet at 11:21 AM on July 21, 2009

Make sure you get all the WD40 off as thoroughly as you can; the stuff is basically kerosene, and may eat the plasticizers in your case (making it brittle).
posted by jenkinsEar at 2:36 PM on July 21, 2009

Thanks for the protip!
posted by tybeet at 4:21 PM on July 21, 2009

« Older Low-cost white label video solution   |   Barchester Chronicles? Newer »