New Yorker Calendar

BigFatFavorFilter: one of my close family members has a photo in the calendar insert of the New Yorker (Dec. 13 issue). The calendars apparently only go to subscribers, though, so I can't acquire it from a newsstand issue. Would anybody be willing to send me their copy of the calendar insert? Please comment -- I'll email you with a mailing address -- and I can reimburse you a couple bucks for postage, too.

(If I could get three copies, all told, I'd be supremely thrilled.) And: thank you, and thank you from my mom!
posted by oldtimey to Media & Arts (17 answers total)

You should contact the magazine directly. Most expect such requests and would not bat an eye at shipping you three copies. From my experience there is an unwritten rule among major magazines entitling anyone published in such magazine to a couple of copies.
posted by tinamonster at 6:15 PM on December 10, 2004

Which picture is it?

Isn't the calender section sponsored by hp? Maybe you could get something from them.

I can send you mine, unless my wife wants it.
posted by alball at 7:08 PM on December 10, 2004

Response by poster: Hmm, HP's site seems to not be helpful. (I own an HP computer and can never find *any* helpful information on their site, come to think of it . .) I am doubtful about trying to snag some copies directly from the New Yorker folks, but maybe they would be nice to me? alball, my uncle's photo is apparently ruling the month of March and the calendar-cover.
posted by oldtimey at 7:31 PM on December 10, 2004

New Yorker would most likely be very open to sending you some copies when you tell them it's your uncle and that they're for the family.
posted by SpecialK at 7:43 PM on December 10, 2004

I can send mine if The New Yorker doesn't pull through for you. (It's in good but "I've-been-carrying-it-in-my-bag" condition.) That's a lovely picture!
posted by hsoltz at 8:04 PM on December 10, 2004

Not sure where mine went, but shoot me an email. If I can find it, it's yours.
posted by The White Hat at 8:37 PM on December 10, 2004

My Dec. 13th issue just arrived. I've gone through it page by page, but there's no calendar! Am I missing something? Was it supposed to be attached inside? I must be that my neighbors are still fucking with me. I mean, earlier this week they called the cops the day our car registration expired, and the day after that, but...
And I was all set to send it to you if I could find it.
posted by sophie at 8:40 PM on December 10, 2004

I've got it and can send it.

It's a damn good picture, by the way. How did it get from your uncle to the New Yorker?

(And I don't understand HP's "tip" on the May page -- shooting at midday makes for smaller shadows, not longer ones.)
posted by Vidiot at 10:08 PM on December 10, 2004

Same here, sophie.

Have the Dec 13th New Yorker. Don't have the calendar. However, I'm on the West Coast; maybe it was only sent to locals?

If I can find it, I can also send mine.
posted by spinifex23 at 11:07 PM on December 10, 2004

I have the calendar in mine. My e-mail is in my profile. Drop me a line if you still need one.
posted by briank at 5:52 AM on December 11, 2004

Ugh. Just ripped mine out and tossed it yesterday.
posted by anathema at 9:50 AM on December 11, 2004

I've got one. If you need one more, send me an email.
posted by googly at 11:59 AM on December 11, 2004

I got mine, spinifex23, here in san francisco. I'm also willing to send you mine oldtimey. Use my same username at gmail.
posted by vacapinta at 4:54 PM on December 11, 2004

Weird.

I guess it's an evil conspiracy then, by The Man.

*dons tinfoil hat*

Wish I would have received one so I could send it on. Maybe next time. If The Man allows it, that is.
posted by spinifex23 at 6:13 PM on December 11, 2004

No insert here in Asheville. Hmmmmm. And I know it's not the neighbors. . I guess it was aliens after all.
posted by mygothlaundry at 8:11 PM on December 11, 2004

Response by poster: You guys put the "perfect" in "perfect strangers" -- thank you so much. (My mom was VERY excited when I hinted that a calendar may be turning up for her . . .) Vidiot, I think the whole calendar was the result of a photo contest. How goofy that it materialized for some people but not others! Regardless, I'm doing the Snoopy happy-dance. If anyone ever needs any, uh, rarities or desirables from the Midwest -- ginger ale, or corn, or pretty rocks from the Great Lakes -- I'll be happy to oblige.
posted by oldtimey at 10:05 PM on December 11, 2004

I just received mine in the mail today; email me at the addy in my profile if you'd like another copy....
posted by Dr. Zira at 12:07 PM on December 13, 2004

« Older Database-driven web sites using using Linux...   |   How do I follow through and finish software... Newer »