Too many tags, nothing to do.

What's a cool project/thing to do with thousands of RFID tags?

Each one is on a sticky avery sheet like this.

Can be as artsy or whacky as you want.
posted by ttyn to Grab Bag (14 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite

Do you have access to a programmer for them?
posted by jwells at 11:18 AM on July 20, 2009

Do you have sensors for them?
posted by Burhanistan at 11:23 AM on July 20, 2009

Yes, I do.
posted by ttyn at 11:24 AM on July 20, 2009

What sort of places do you have access to? Depending on where you work or have friends that work drasticaly changes what I might day dream up.

I think for a art project putting them all over the flowers, fruit and veggies in a garden might be interesting. Take the whole idea of factory food one step further. Might create a fair amount of interesting images.
posted by JimmyJames at 11:44 AM on July 20, 2009

Make a deck of cards or blocks, each with a different RFID tag. Passing each one in front of a sensor makes a light change colors, or triggers a servo to flap a wing, hit a drum, etc.

The idea that is interesting, artistically speaking, to me is changing something electrical or obscure into a physical reaction. RFID is a great way to do this, and can be lots of fun.
posted by fontophilic at 12:03 PM on July 20, 2009

If you have a large library at your workplace you can create a system where books are automatically checked out when they pass over a sensor, and then checked back in on return.
posted by PenDevil at 12:04 PM on July 20, 2009

Maybe as a just-for-fun security measure, put a tag in your wallet and have some sort of alarm sound when the wallet is removed from the proximity of a sensor?

Unfortunately, I have no idea how you'd go about doing that.
posted by reductiondesign at 12:06 PM on July 20, 2009

What's the range of an RFID chip? I think it would be awesome to be able to locate my keys, wallet, cell phone, TV remote, wine opener etc.
posted by spikeleemajortomdickandharryconnickjrmints at 12:39 PM on July 20, 2009

Massive scavenger hunt? Attach RFIDs to random objects in a location, have players have to find a set number of them in a set amount of time?
posted by strixus at 12:56 PM on July 20, 2009 [1 favorite]

Your items are kind of useful and useless at the same time.

One thing you could do is tag all the leaves on a tree, then
set up sensors on the ground so you could see at what rate
trees shed their leaves. Then, you could compare that data to
the temperature to see if on cold days more leaves fall.

Another thing you could do is give a card with the tag to all
your friends to put in their wallets. Then you could walk around
with a sensor and when a friend is near, say, in a mall or something,
it would beep, letting you know who.

I can't think of anything else.
How is it that you suddenly have these things?
posted by Sully at 1:32 PM on July 20, 2009

and

Then you could walk around with a sensor and when a friend is near, say, in a mall or something, it would beep, letting you know who.

Neither of these will work. The nominal range of passive RFID is only a few feet. With a directional antenna and some amplifiers, maybe 30-40 feet.

You should think of RFID as, essentially, a barcode or a magstripe. It doesn't quite need to touch the sensor, but it does need to be in the proximity.
posted by Netzapper at 2:24 PM on July 20, 2009

Is the sensor easily moved?
Step 1. Get your programmer to put together a program that plays a looping sound clip at a different pitch depending on which RFID was last scanned. Step 2. Cover table or flat surface with RFIDs. Step 3. Learn to play the ttynaphone.
posted by TwelveTwo at 4:46 PM on July 20, 2009

I don't know much about RFID technology or capabilities, so some of these may be unfeasible, but how about some kind of keyless entry system to your home?

A visualization where you have LEDs set up on a huge wall or ceiling and they illuminate when you wave the RFID in front of them.

Attach them to your pet's collar and track its movement throughout your house during the day.

Stick 'em on your keys/cell phone/TV remote so you can find them when they get lost at home.

Garage door automatically opens when you pull into the driveway or warning signal when roommate/significant other pulls in.
posted by sambosambo at 10:29 AM on July 21, 2009

A new idea! Put them on all your coat hangers, and associate each ID with a random number. Next time you are putting together your outfit, but are torn between two shirt choices, just compare the two ID numbers. Whichever one is greater wins!
posted by TwelveTwo at 11:22 AM on July 21, 2009

« Older DIY Joystick Links?   |   High-end baby boutiques in the DC Metro area?... Newer »