Where are there good Victorian Christmas celebrations?

Which towns in the Mid-Atlantic and New England have good Victorian Christmas celebrations in November / December?

I know it's strange to ask a question about Christmas in the middle of July, but we're trying to figure out our holiday plans early, so we can coordinate schedules.

Last December we sat at home and watched movies, including the 1994 "Little Women". This year, we'd like to try and find a celebration that resembles the look and feel of that movie. If that isn't technically "Victorian", I'm sorry for the confusion. I hope you understand what I'm looking for. I guess most people would use Charles Dickens in this question, but the "Little Women" movie perfectly portrays what I'm looking for. That being said, we're somewhat flexible on the details.

Ideally, we'd like a larger celebration with plenty of stuff to do. Atmosphere is important. Shopping isn't. The religious aspect isn't important either, since none of us are even remotely religious. Also, the closer it is to Northeastern Pennsylvania, the better.

Thanks for you help!
posted by larkin123 to Travel & Transportation (8 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

Christmas in Cape May, NJ is supposed to be terrific.
posted by xsquared-1 at 1:11 PM on July 15, 2009

There's the annual Nantucket Christmas Stroll (December 4 - 6, 2009)
"Nantucket is particularly enchanting during the holiday season, when New England’s finest traditions come alive for the Annual Christmas Stroll Weekend, which is part of Nantucket Noel a month-long celebration organized by the Nantucket Island Chamber of Commerce.The Annual Christmas Stroll Weekend is a community holiday celebration attracting visitors from around the world. Santa and Mrs. Claus arrive to the island via a Coast Guard vessel and ride up Main Street in a horse-drawn carriage accompanied by the Town Crier. Carolers in Victorian costumes, bell ringers, student choirs and other musicians perform on the Main Street stage as well as stroll through town performing, all the while visitors can enjoy Nantucket’s unique shops and restaurants."
posted by ericb at 1:14 PM on July 15, 2009

Christmas Prelude in Kennebunkport, Maine. Not very close but I used to live in Kennebunk so can answer any additional questions about it. They have the schedule up for this year's already, so you can see if it is what you're looking for.
posted by mikepop at 1:14 PM on July 15, 2009

I'm seconding Christmas in Cape May. I used to work for the non-profit that helps oversee the festivities (which xsquared-1 links to) and I can vouch that it's exactly what you're hoping to find!
posted by katie at 1:37 PM on July 15, 2009

Williamsburg, VA. Atmosphere galore. Colonial, not Victorian, but quite the historic celebration with a sumptuous, lush feel.
posted by mmw at 2:02 PM on July 15, 2009

I can't recommend or un-recommend, having never been, but try Bellefonte, PA.
posted by scratch at 2:35 PM on July 15, 2009

Response by poster: Thanks to everyone who replied! I think we might try a few of these over the next few years.
posted by larkin123 at 5:08 AM on July 17, 2009

« Older Does listing every single location you service...   |   Fast functional iPhone Spreadsheet App? Newer »