Webcam, do your job!

How do I use a webcam with Windows Movie Maker on Vista?

Hey, Mefites! I'd like to start recording video with my webcam, but can't figure out how.

I have an HP Pavilion dv2000 with a built in webcam that seems to have no software and runs Vista. My computer has Windows Movie Maker, but the program doesn't seem to allow web cam imports in the Vista version.

Is there any way to get around this? Perhaps a *cheap* program that I could install to record video that can be edited in Movie Maker?

A little more info-- I'm doing this because I'd like to start video blogging, but would like to be able to review and edit videos before I post them. I don't really like the idea of uploading straight from webcam to YouTube.

posted by peachykeen to Computers & Internet (2 answers total)

Are you sure that your system didn't come with Webcam software? My HP Pavilion Dv6000 came with Cyberlink YouCam software. I don't know which 2000 model or OS you have but here's a link to the YouCam support page on HPs site with a download link.
posted by octothorpe at 8:45 PM on July 1, 2009

You can download Windows Media Encoder from Microsoft for free, which should work with your webcam and gives you plenty of options for audio/video quality. Do note these potential issues you may encounter running Media Encoder on the 32-bit version of Vista. I've never experienced any of them.
posted by briand864 at 11:54 PM on July 1, 2009

« Older Time to gut airline pricing.   |   Why are LED signs so often seen broken? Newer »