Looking for a bed like this one...
June 21, 2009 6:46 PM   Subscribe

I love this bed. How do I find one like it? What kind of words should I be using in my search? Thanks!
posted by You Should See the Other Guy to Home & Garden (5 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite
Best answer: The one I found that looks almost exactly like it is called a "French Antique Louis XV Bed" and Google Images seems to bear this out.
posted by jessamyn at 6:55 PM on June 21, 2009

Add the word "corbeille" and you get a little closer.
posted by jessamyn at 6:59 PM on June 21, 2009 [1 favorite]

Response by poster: Thanks, Jess!
posted by You Should See the Other Guy at 7:14 PM on June 21, 2009

Some things it may (or may not) be helpful to know:

1/ This style enjoyed something of a renaissance in the 1950s. So, it is possible to get a 2nd-hand corbeille bed that is neither antique nor French for (relatively speaking) not a lot of money. Ebay always has them.

2/ They can be reupholstered. This can easily run as much as the bed if not far more.

3/ Pay attention to not only the charms of the bed but the mattress size. The older the bed, the less likely it is to have been designed for what are now standard mattress sizes and the more likely they are to come with mattresses designed specifically for that particular bed.
posted by DarlingBri at 2:16 AM on June 22, 2009 [2 favorites]

no padded part, but pottery barn has one with the curvy footboard.
posted by msconduct at 4:43 AM on June 22, 2009

« Older How normal is my boyfriends naughty habit?   |   Help us elope in Paris this summer! Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.