What's the cheapest iChat-compatible camera available for OS X?
December 5, 2004 6:42 PM   Subscribe

What's the cheapest iChat-compatible camera available for OS X?
posted by blueshammer to Technology (7 answers total)

Officially, probably the iBot. Other, with these instuctions and $9.95 you can use any old crap.
posted by cillit bang at 7:22 PM on December 5, 2004

(This appears to be the most appropriate old crap)
posted by cillit bang at 7:57 PM on December 5, 2004

The Unibrain Fire-I is a decent webcam, and is a lot cheaper today then when I bought it at my local Apple Store a year ago.
posted by brownpau at 8:34 PM on December 5, 2004

Given the price of those not-so-good-looking cameras, I would go for the iSight, which is just a little bit more expensive, but so stylish...

By the way, does iChat only accept firewire webcams?
posted by rubin421 at 8:37 AM on December 6, 2004

Response by poster: By the way, does iChat only accept firewire webcams?

Yes, but that can apparently be surmounted a la cillit's links. I tried it last winter with a QuickCam Messenger and it didn't work, but then again I had been warned ahead of time that Messengers in particular did not work.
posted by blueshammer at 9:05 AM on December 6, 2004

I have tried going the "usb webcam plugin" route with pretty unsatisfactory results (jerky, slow refresh.) If I were to attempt it again, I think I'd just get a firewire webcam. (For reference, my hurky-jerky attempt was on a 500mhz G3 dual usb iBook.)
posted by lpqboy at 10:20 AM on December 6, 2004

I bought iChatUSBCam and a $5 ebay usb web cam and am quite happy with the results (on a 2001 500 mHz G3 dual usb iBook). My picture quality isn't quite as good as with an iSight, but for the price...
posted by maniactown at 2:44 PM on December 6, 2004

« Older Online Book Publisher Wanted   |   Laptop Question Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.